1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my series 70 new, years ago, it has served me will.Years ago, a competent pistolsmith done a trigger job, now the hammer occasional falls to 1/2 cock when the slide is manually released. The hammer has never failed to lock back properly when firing rounds.Is replacing the sear/hammer the only solution? Will replacing the trigger,hammer/sear,and beavertail reduce the value of the "original" Series 70 configuration? Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
My series 70 does the same thing...when I release the slide, sometimes the hammer falls to half-cock, but only when there's no round to chamber. With rounds in the mag, no problems. Nature of the beast.

BTW, my trigger job was done by Bob Chow when the gun was new.

If you replace the parts you mention, and try to sell the gun with them still installed, some buyers could claim that they reduce the value of the gun, while others will claim that the value was raised by "customizing" it. I've seen both happen at the same gun show with the same guns for sale.

The nice thing is, you can just replace the new parts with the original ones to restore the gun to its original configuration.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Droping the slide on an empty chamber is a no, no...Sear spring adjustment may be called for..Bend the left arm on the spring in alittle.......

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
You can recut the hammer notch cleaner squared and deeper, and still retain the origional parts, Like the guys said here
the sear spring may help. and like they
said, not great for the gun to drop it on
and empty chamber.
geo ><>

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
What George said.I'm sure your sear spring is a bit weak by now,but I'd bet the hammer (and probably the sear) need to be touched up-no big deal.Shot it quite a bit since that job,didn't you.

Changing parts isn't bad for the value if you keep the originals.The prob is when you do irreversible changes.Beavers,lo-mount sight cuts,etc.If the gun is in good shape,it's worth more original than modified permanantly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts