1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have read, Kimber and Springfield 1911s are based on the Series 70 design (please correct me if I'm mistaken). Both of these companies have several, if not all, of their models apporved by the CA DOJ.

Now, as for Colt, only the Series 80 models are approved for sale in CA. Anybody know why there are no Colt Series 70 models approved for CA? Is it all just politics?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably because Colt doesn't MAKE a Series 70 anymore!
I know, but it still means that I can't buy a used Series 70 if I wanted to.

From the DOJ web site:
Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice.
Is it that Colt simply doesn't care about how well the used Series 70 sells enough to submit one for testing?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you want a Series 70 over the Series 80 - just curious to ask.
Mostly because the Series 70 is supposed to be more like the GI 1911A1 than the Series 80.

Basically, I just posted this out of plain ol' curiosity, since I can't get one anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.