1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that you should replace the collet style bushing with a solid type. Does any know the actual failure rate of the split type bushing?

·
2,974 Posts
I haven't seen any published figures. I inherited a bad one from somebody else's gun but the ones that I have bought new haven't given me any problem with the bushing.

I wouldn't worry about it for target shooting. Might be a good idea to have a solid bushing fit for a carry gun as insurance. I suspect that they changed back for good reasons.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
There's really nothing wrong with the collet as long as it's the right one. They make them in different sizes and if the 'smith at Colt did his job right, it should never give you any problem. It will eventually wear and need to be replaced, but it takes a lot of rounds to do it. Rate of failure? I've been building them since a long time before they made the collet and so far I've seen exactly two fail. One wore out and one was fit wrong. One thing though, when they break inside, they're a bitch to remove.

·
Registered
685 Posts
When mine let loose the only piece I found was the finger with the key, still in place between the slide and the barrel. The rest of the bushing wound up who knows where.

I loved the accuracy and ease of takedown with the collet bushing, but I don't worry about this happening now that I have a fitted solid bushing in place.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Mr. Brown has it.If they aren't fit correctly to your slide and barrel,the fingers are forcefully bowed in the middle.Next thing you know it breaks.They are a nice idea,but a properly fit solid bushing will do the same function with a stronger design.Personally I don't see a need for one other than uphold the value of a 70 series.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts