1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took apart my CD tonight to install a single side safety in place of the ambi . I noticed my gun has the slide drilled out for a series 80 colt style firing pin safety but no series 80 parts in the slide nor does it have the series 80 extractor . but the hole is there for sure . the frame is also cut for the linkage near the sear , there was one peice in there that activates the safety levers that are mounted in the frame to operate the 80s functions but it appeared to just be a spacer. i have a hermorphadite gun but it shoots great so i aint complaining . maybe they are making series 80 guns for other countries or something ?

[This message has been edited by JAFO216 (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi JAFO,

I kinda noticed that spacer thing beside the sear as well when I installed a Nowlin trigger. I don't really know if I put it in back the right way (it seems to work fine though) since it wasn't on any of the disassembly manuals that I had. It just kinda fell out after I removed the sear /disconector assembly.

Which is why I kinda need your help here. Was it positioned flush with the sear (on the right side of it) and the "tail" (wider portion) on the bottom? Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Malmon , You must have it in right because when I put mine in the wrong way the Grip safety would not go down . I think it goes with the little nub down if I can remember right . and the large part up . it really freaked me out when a part that I am used to seeing on series 80 Colts fell out of a series 70 gun , then when I saw the hole bored in the bottom of the slide right where it is on a colt . i really think it just a spacer for now .

·
Registered
288 Posts
Phew! I was also surprised since being a newbie, I follow disasssembly intructions to the letter. When I didn't find that part in the pictures, I was kinda worried about how to put it back. Well anyway thanks! I just had to be sure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
sounds like fun
when i switched my thumbsafty, it was no problem. i like it
better than the one that came with it,i
doubt that it will breake like the factory one did. the one im using now is made of tool steel.

------------------
13th texas infantry regiment.

·
Registered
288 Posts
JB,

What brand of thumb safety did you put in your Daly? Did you replace the sear/disconnector pin as well? I would believe so, since this part isn't flush on the frame and would probably hit the new safety right?

BTW, I updated the Daly articles for you. The pix are a lot bigger and are now readable.

·
Registered
233 Posts
hello malmon, the pictures and articals look great".
i still havent learn how to down load picture to web sites yet
is it hard? also how do you get them on a certain forum? like you did here?? i would have to have step by step instructions. lol
by the way i used #201 kings combat speed safty. im not using the ambidextrous safty anymore. i used ed brown sear and hammer pin's. you can use the pins that came with the cd,but i didnt because they where to loose of a fit and they didnt fit flushed like they suppose too.cmc slide stop, kings trigger,ace custom .45 mainspring housing.sear hammer and remainder parts wilson combat. all are hand fitted to perfection for the frame fit.all frames can be slightly cut differnt,lot to lot.but they are all pretty much the same generially speaking.i would also like to note, to others who may try smithing,is to take as little off as possilble.untill parts fit and function like they suppose too.but say like slide stop are thumb safty IF you happen to have filed too much off, you will have to buy a new one,ARE go and have a small bead tac welded and reshaped it. i accidently did that to my slide stop,i taking too much off...it would only work with certain mags,so i went and hade a bead tacked on and reshaped it. now it excepts all mags. matter of fact you cant tell by looking at the slide stop, that it has ever been alturd

slide stop is critical, it has to fit top and bottom, the mag follower has to catch and hold the slide open on empty chamber. and the top of the inner nob has to be high enough to where it want slide out during live fire. thumb saftys doesnt require much fitting, you take very little metal off,very little. if you take too much off youll know it
take your time....study the mechanics of the part function befor removing any metal
i custom fitted a barrel bushing too,its tight,and i can barely remove it by hand, accuracy improved nearly 100%. just plinking free handed 11/2" groups at 25 & 30 yards.
if i put it in a rest-device, it probily get even tighter groupings.im pretty handy shooting handguns and rifle's,im a devoted shooter. and im very pleased with my fs cd.
sorry malmon....got started,im long winded this morning lol. i can sit and disscusing guns all dayyy
vega sounds like me, he got the gun bug
well take care, and appreciate you and vega help on this forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts