1911Forum banner

Series 80, 9mm conversion

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  charleym3 
#1 ·
I've asked this question other places and just found this forum.
I've got a Series80 Stainless GM. I've always wanted a 9mm on the 1911 platform. The question is, is it feasable to have a second top end fitted and change the ejector and have a two caliber gun? Two smiths say yes, one says no!

I want your experience and opinions, please.

------------------
-Charley.
When the need is great enough, limitations are meaningless

#2 ·
Why do you want a switch top? 9mm Colts are cheap and you would be light years ahead just to buy a 9mm. It might work to convert to 9mm but it might not. The feed ramps are different. I would say it depends on who does the work. You are looking at a new top end, new ejector, new mags, new sights, and plenty of bucks. Lots of luck!

#3 ·
Look at this thread
http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002000.html

A lot of the same stuff applies. Some top ends will go right on and work and others take a lot of work before they function if ever. You can use the .45 ejector with the 9mm top end but I would recommend an extended .45 ejector if you want to QUICKLY change calibers. If you have to knock that pin out and wiggle the ejector out of the frame each time you swap top ends, it doesn't seem like a 2 caliber gun to me.

I any case, I would only use the 9mm top for targets or play shooting as I don't find 9mms in 1911 to be as reliable as .45s (even when they come from the factory as 9mms).

#4 ·
It's feasible, but the economics doesn't add up. Cost out a new 9mm slide, barrel, bushing, sights, guide rod and plug, 9mm extractor, and 9mm ejector. Then add up what it will cost to have the barrel fitted to the slide and the slide to the frame, and you'll probably find that it's more cost effective to just buy a 1911 in 9mm. The feed ramp on the 9mm 1911 frame is also steeper than for a .45 and you may encounter feeding problems.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Dave Sample:
... 9mm Colts are cheap and you would be light years ahead just to buy a 9mm. ...
Thanks.
I've heard that before, however, I've not been able to find one. I want a 9mm in a stainless Series 80 GM configuration. The optimum, for me, would be a 1991A1 stainless in 9mm.

------------------
-Charley.

#6 ·
I don't think they ever made them in stainless. I have two blued ones and have seen several blued ones but never a stainless.

Springfield makes a stainless 9mm and they can be had for $500 or so NEW.

Contrary to Dave's beliefs, 9mm Colts usually aren't cheap as they are rare on top of being Colts.

[This message has been edited by James P (edited 10-26-2001).]

#7 ·
Well, like I said that would be the best case. I found a used SA 9mm locally for about $500. I'd really like to have the series 80. I had a very unhappy experience with a series 70. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

The SA is older style. Staked in front sight, but it is stainless. Wonder if the dealer would let me shoot before I buy.

------------------
-Charley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.