1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I detailed stripped and cleaned a Series 80 Colt for the first time tonight. The slide was simple enough, but the frame took about 45 minutes longer than it should have. The trouble was getting the blasted trigger bar lever lined up with the sear and disconnector and then fitting back the sear pin.

I've two other Series 80 Colts just about ready for a strip and I'm not looking forward to it given all the fun I've just had tonight.

Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Thanks and regards,

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Robb:

Thanks very much for the good advice - I'll give your method a try tomorrow night. The match to secure the place for the trigger bar sounds like a particular stroke of genius!

You've just got to love a 90 year old pistol design with 20 year old alterations that yield to a paperclip and a match.

Best regards,

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Roger, no matter if you use tricks or not, reassembly WILL get easier the more you do it. Like anything else, practice makes perfect - and you will find your own shortcuts for putting it back together.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Been doing this for 10 years, and its so natural for me now that I had to think about it for a moment:
1. Install the trigger
2. Point frame down, install disconnector and sear.
3. Place finger in the rear of the mag well from top and place firing pin safety part to the right of the sear, long lever side down and short lever pointing to the rear of the frame.
4. Push pin in from the left. Your finger inside the mag well will help align the parts. Once you do it a few times, you'll catch on.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I use a sharp pointed pick to help in my reassembly of my Colt and Para's with the firing pin locks. Also the more often that you do it, the easier it will become for you. This is definitely a case of practice makes perfect.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have found that my Glock armorer's tool works great. I actually use it more on my 1911's than I do on my Glocks.

Tim

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used a set of spring loaded tweezers (sp?) to hold the sear, sear spring, and disconnector as a single unit. Then it's just like a series 70.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use a slave pin to hold the parts together. It's made from a section of the plastic tubing that comes on aerosol brake cleaner cans. After wiggling the parts into position , I drive the slave pin out with the real pin. Presto.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts