1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Prized 1911A1 - Nighthawk Custom I built while attending gunsmithing program at Montgomery CC
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a really rough Gold Cup from a local dealer. It looks nickel and has a SN prefix and an E suffix on the serial number.
I also has Millet Sights on it.

My questions are

1. I guess that this is the brite stainless I have been hearing about?
2. Is this also an an enhanced gun? Other than a little bit of relief under the trigger guard to let one get a higher grip, what else makes this colt enhanced?
3. I'll try to post a pic.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
baker1425.....

The Colt enhanced models were an attempt to make the entire line more similar to the Gold Cups with narrow barrel hoods, sight rib, flared ejection port, and slanted cocking serrations. And yes, your GC is an enhanced version with the finger relief cut under the trigger guard.

BTW....whoever put on the Millett rear sight put on the wrong front sight. The Millett adj. sight for the Gold Cup was designed to use the factory front sight. The factory front sight has been replaced with a Millett that is too high (That's why the rear sight is cranked up so high on your GC.)

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
baker1425

I agree with your description, that is rather rough. My reference does not have your serial number range in it so your pistol may be new enough to be stainless rather than nickle. Though I do not know if Colt ever produced the Gold Cup using a bright nickle finish. There is a fairly easy way to tell. Place your pistol on a white cloth under a bright light, preferably sunlight if possible. Now look at the metal. Does it really look silver, or does it have a yellowish cast to it. If it looks sort of yellow, then the finish is nickle.

Concerning your other questions. Your Gold Cup is not "enhanced". With the exception of the sights, it is the standard configuration for a Gold Cup. "Enhanced" was a term applied to Colt pistols that received features originally found on the Gold Cup. These features are the flat top slide, the angled finger grooves in the slide, and the relief cut under the trigger guard. Gold Cup pistols normally came with Eliason sights, so your Millets are either an after the fact change, or a custom install by Colt.

To confirm if your pistol is stainless, a quick call to Colt Customer Service may be all you need. If the pistol is stainless, it may be possible to remove most of the marks inthe finish and return the finish to a nice shiney state. For advice on this I recommend asking DSK, since he has polished the flats on a couple of pistols and they came out looking great.

Str8_Shot

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Str8_Shot.....

The "enhanced" Colt Gold Cups were introduced in 1992. Prior to 1992, the Colt Gold Cup never came with a standard factory relief cut under the trigger guard. The new combat hammer with the elongated hole was also introduced on the Gold Cup in 1992. The entire 1911 line was "enhanced" with the exception of the 1991A1.

The finish as pictured appears to be the "ultimate" bright stainless steel in a highly worn state. The sights..... I can guarantee were not installed by Colt.

From the 1992 Colt catalog.....New enhanced Colt 45ACP Gold Cup......New relief cut under trigger guard.....New combat-style hammer with elongated hole....New beavertail.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
Prized 1911A1 - Nighthawk Custom I built while attending gunsmithing program at Montgomery CC
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See that's why I asked

I appreciate the quick and detailed response. I am hoping that it will polish out, but a lot of the roughness is due to the scanner I was using. I'll get the digital camera warmed up later and shoot a picture.

I was thinking about carry for this gun at some point, or making it more practical for my use. Other than going back with an original elliason sight, can y'all reccomend an aftermarket sight that would be easier to carry?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
At the very minimum, get a factory front sight on it so you can lower the rear sights.

Try to gently remove the light surface scratches with Flitz.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You oughta see the other side, too. The safety and plunger tube are mismatched, so I pulled them off waiting for Colt to send me the new parts. I am looking forward to getting this one cleaned up though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:) baker1425
I have a Gold Cup in bright stainless that looks almost identical except for the sights, the grips and the ejection port. Mine has checkered wrap around instead of the mottled, a larger ejection port and the Eliason sights. The bright stainless polishes real easily and it is not difficult to remove small scratches.
You should have this one looking tip top in no time. Good luck with it. By the way, did it come with the light weight recoil spring?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it has about a ten pound spring on it. Snows spitting up here, so I am hoping to get the time to work on this beauty. I am going to see about putting about a 14 lb spring in it so my 230 loads will not batter it too badly.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Joyous Festivus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts