1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow, I was surprised when I walked into my LGS last week to see a 70 series and 80 series Government model, side by side, bright Nickel, laying in the display case. Turns out, they were a consignment by the same owner. I really wanted both of them, but just couldn't swing it at the time. I did pick up the 80 series. Why not the 70 series? The 80 series was in considerably better condition and I'd say is a little harder to come by. I know I've only seen a couple of these in the last few years. This one is not perfect, but is really good. The 70 series had a light freckling on the right side, but still very nice looking.
I understand that they only made these from '83 to '85. Mine is a 1984 according to the Colt website.
Thought I'd post a couple of pics of my latest Colt. Wow, these things are difficult to get a good picture of. You can actually see the reflection of a couple of my deer heads from across the room in the third pic!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Oh, thats nice. I don't recall ever seeing a Series 80 in nickel. Send it to me, I'll PM my FFL's address.

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow what a beautiful gun if you don't mind me asking how much did you pick it up for?
Well, I'll just say that being that it was in my LGS and it's bright n shiny, it was probably not a bargin....but not grossly over priced either. The Dealer told me who's it was and it was someone I knew. Between the three of us, with all parties satisfied, the owner pulled the Colt from the consignment and sold it directly to me a little cheaper than it was priced in the shop, also saving me the sales tax. We split the consignment fee and made the dealer feel good about it. The owner ate the state transfer fee to receive the gun back. Sounds complicated, but it really worked out pretty good. Also, the owner started telling me other Colts he has that will be for sale in the future as he thins out. The original asking price in the shop was $950. If I'd bought it thru the shop at list price, it would have been $1,053 out the door.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Well, I'll just say that being that it was in my LGS and it's bright n shiny, it was probably not a bargin....but not grossly over priced either. The Dealer told me who's it was and it was someone I knew. Between the three of us, with all parties satisfied, the owner pulled the Colt from the consignment and sold it directly to me a little cheaper than it was priced in the shop, also saving me the sales tax. We split the consignment fee and made the dealer feel good about it. The owner ate the state transfer fee to receive the gun back. Sounds complicated, but it really worked out pretty good. Also, the owner started telling me other Colts he has that will be for sale in the future as he thins out. The original asking price in the shop was $950. If I'd bought it thru the shop at list price, it would have been $1,053 out the door.
I think you got a excellent deal. I just paid $1,199 dollars for a 2013 colt SS model 01091 I got to hand select it. Everyone on here might think I am crazy but honestly it feels and looks perfect one of the nicest Colts I have ever handled.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
That is a beautiful gun…great find and a great price..in my opinion.
You know they made it in a smaller version :) I am definitely going to have to find a GM to go with my Commander.
I think they would make a nice set.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's a real nice series 80! Saw a constable walking around my work with a series 80 colt in what he described as high polish stainless steel. It was super shiny with ivory grips, and I think had some more "modern" things on it like a beavertail and all. I've had a thing for shiny nickel/ss 1911s since then. Yours is perfect!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Definitely a beauty, and what looks to be a great price. Would look right at home sitting next to my bright stainless Gold Cup NM. Congrats on it!

T.MAY - that's a stunning Commander! A good friend happens to have a Gvmt. bright stainless for sale at the moment if you're really looking. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts