1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What holds this plunger in the slide? is it difficult to remove and put back together? (not actually removing for good but just to remove and clean everyonce in awhile). Also, does it have to be removed in order to remove the firing pin? I've only owned "70 series" style 1911's and like the simplicity, i'm a little confused with the disassembly of series 80 action parts. thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Plunger

its held in there by a little lip on the extractor. Its part of the series 80 firing pin safety system that most people dont like and everybody thinks is not needed. Theres two more parts in the
frame that push up on the plunger to let the firing pin hit the
primer. I can take it apart but I dont know how to explain it
by writing it but its not real hard.

C-Buff

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,214 Posts
If you remove the firing pin stop plate, then depress the firing pin block plunger, the firing pin spring should pop the firing pin out. Then the plunger and its spring should drop out - since both the firing pin and firing pin lock plunger have springs behind them, try to control both parts, so they don't squirt to who-knows-where. I've haven't had S80 parts in my guns for long, but to reassemble, I think I put in the plunger and its spring first, depress it, then (using my third hand . . .) install and depress the firing pin; while the firing pin is depressed, release the plunger, and it will hold the firing pin in the slide until you can get the stop plate back in.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, very well explained. Now that I know it is fairly simple I might try replacing the Series 80 parts with the C&S kit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Heres how

Here's a cut and paste of how my friend told me to do it.

quote:
Depress the plunger and hold it in. Push the firing pin in far enough to clear the stop, and release the plunger. The firing pin will stay captive, and the firing pin stop should slide out easily.

Hold your thumb over the firing pin and depress the plunger again. The pin and spring will pop out. You may have to depress the plunger again to get it all the way out.

Lever the extractor backward a little to release the plunger. Keep
a thumb over the plunger to keep from losing it if it comes out easily. If there's a lot of gunk build-up in the slide, you may have to help it. Be careful not to drop the tiny spring that's in the
plunger. When the plunger and spring is out, the extractor will slide out.

Reassemble in reverse order.
unquote:

Better than I could explain it.

C-Buff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts