1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me - One of the local gunsmiths here is fond of Colt, but tells me that aftermarket hammers such as Wilson or Ed Brown will not work in a series 80 gun. I emailed Wilson Combat and asked if their hammers will work in a series 80, which they said they would.

I know for a while the half-cock notch on a series 80 was different, allowing the hammer to fall from half-cock when the trigger was pulled. My old GC was like that. But now, my new series 80 hammers will not do that. Plus when I detail strip the series 80 guns, the hammers look identical in the fitting areas to a Wilson or McCormick hammer. Did Colt redesign the series 80 hammer again, so it is more like the series 70 and pre series 70? Is my Gunsmith up in the night? (He used to work for Colt)?

I'm interested in customizing a series 80 with a Wilson or Ed Brown hammer, but don't want to ship it to one of them, due to shipping costs. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
The simply answer is that an Ed Brown and a Wilson hammer will work in your S80 Colt as they do in some of mine. They are both good parts. I like the new Ed Brown Hardcore Hammer and sear better because it takes less prep work to get a crisp trigger.

As for who to have do the work, tell us where you live? Maybe someone can make a recommendation.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wilson and Brown hammers work fine in a series 80.

If you happen to be in Arizona I would go with Rogers, Williams or Yost.

If not pay the shipping and send it to them, it will be money well spent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts