1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering who here has actually done the Series 80 to Series 70 conversion with or without the frame shim. I am considering taking out the 80 safety stuff and replacing it with the shim to keep things lined up but I'm not sure that it's worth it. The real reason I'm considering it is that I have a Remington R1 Enhanced that had the safety plunger bind up and stop the gun from running. Luckily, it was still in warranty but it is still not something you want to have happen. I doubt that a Colt (Gold Cup Trophy in this case) would ever have that problem but I'd still like to hear from anyone who has done the conversion on any problems associated with the conversion.
Thanks.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I have removed the S80 parts on ALL my pistols that came with them.

I use the shim as you mentioned, and have never had a problem at all.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
... The real reason I'm considering it is that I have a Remington R1 Enhanced that had the safety plunger bind up and stop the gun from running. ...
Should have bought a Colt. I was a young rookie cop when the S80 came out. After 30 years, I really never seen any difference between a S70 and a S80. My Gold Cup is a S80 and I used it in competition for ten years, besides carrying it on and off duty. YMMV

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
emore,

Regarding the Remington, but all other guns, they have to have their parts checked periodically and safety levers/plungers on 1911s have to be occasionally sprayed out
with Gun Scrubber (if not actually taken apart) and a drop of oil needs to be applied.

I think Bill Wilson's manual on 1911 maintenance is a good thing to get.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm wondering who here has actually done the Series 80 to Series 70 conversion with or without the frame shim. I am considering taking out the 80 safety stuff and replacing it with the shim to keep things lined up but I'm not sure that it's worth it. The real reason I'm considering it is that I have a Remington R1 Enhanced that had the safety plunger bind up and stop the gun from running. Luckily, it was still in warranty but it is still not something you want to have happen. I doubt that a Colt (Gold Cup Trophy in this case) would ever have that problem but I'd still like to hear from anyone who has done the conversion on any problems associated with the conversion.
Thanks.
How many rds. went thru it without cleaning ?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
emore, I bought one of those shims years ago. Still have it, never got around to using it. I've owned and carried Series '80 Colts since 1983, Governments, Gold Cups, a Special Combat Gvernment, etc, and the Series '80 components have never caused any trouble. I know when some owners put in a trigger with an over travel stop, and set it too close, etc, they run into issues. Then comes the internet posts about how bad the Series '80s are, terrible triggers, prone to faiure, gun wouldn't fire, etc, etc. That is a lack of knowledge by the owner/operator/poster though, not a deficiency or defect in the Series 80 system or components. My 2012 production Gold Cup Trophy has all S80 components intact, clean trigger pull of about 4.25 Lbs. Not removing or modifying the S80 components. Just no reason to IMHO....ymmv

BTW, trigger pull specs did not change between the Series '80 and the prior Colts without the FPS system...

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
You could just leave the parts in and replace the FP with a series 70 firing pin.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could just leave the parts in and replace the FP with a series 70 firing pin.
Now, that is interesting. Sadly, I don't know enough about said parts to understand how that would affect the overall function, however. I'm willing to take in any explanation, though.
Thanks,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts