1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out, folks. Are there both Series 80 and Series 90 1991A1s? What are the strong points of Series 90 vs the Series 80 models?

Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
I bought a 1991A1 in March of this year. Mfg date of fall of 2000. Doesn't say anything about a series 90 anywhere on it, but I do have an early series 80 Government blued model, and other than the finish, there is nothing cosmetically different. What is different is the fit. The 1991A1 is much, much tighter than the early series 80 in all respects, the barrel fit in particular. The hammer sides on the new pistol are recessed in order to clear the slide, and the slide to frame lockup in battery shows 4 bright rub marks on the frame rails, just like it should. The A1 cost me the same as the old series 80, and while I love the shiny blued finish on my old model, I plan to polish the new one to match. Thought I might sell the old one but I now have close to 80,000 rounds through it and I can't bring myself to part with it! Hope the new one works as well!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dnancarr, thanks. You have put your finger on what I understand is the biggest point -- consistently better fit.

Do you know at what point someone at Colt waved the magic wand over the 1911 line? I take it that most of the reason for the improvement comes from a move to CNC machines...just not sure when!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I bought a 1991A1 in March of this year. Mfg date of fall of 2000. Doesn't say anything about a series 90 anywhere on it, but I do have an early series 80 Government blued model, and other than the finish, there is nothing cosmetically different. What is different is the fit. The 1991A1 is much, much tighter than the early series 80 in all
respects, the barrel fit in particular. The hammer sides on the new pistol are recessed in order to clear the slide, and the slide to frame lockup in battery shows 4 bright rub marks on the frame rails, just like it should.
Wow. Just when I think that I have finally decided on the Springfield Mil-Spec, I read reports like this. Sometimes I think I should just flip a coin.

There is only one thing that I can't stand about the 1991: the fact that it has "1991" written in huge letters on the slide. If only it said "1911"...Pretty picky, I know, but I can't help it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
GI-45, you might want to check out the New COLT 1911 A1. there's a thread already running here.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The newer 1991's have a stainless barrel. As well, they've all started coming with the blued slide-side's now.
All 1991's are series 80, the series 90 guns are only a few specific models, Pony, Pocket 9, Double Eagle's and Defenders. I think Colt is getting away from the use of such titles, since the XS/XSE don't say either.
Reason's I'd take a Colt 1991 over a Springfield Mil-spec;
1) SA has the non-mil-spec front strap, supposedly to make a better surface for checkering, but it's different from every other 1911.
2) The grip safety tangs are cut different, any aftermarket grip safety besides the S&A ones specifically made for it will leave a gap that need's to be welded up to look right.
3) Colt will hold it's value better simply by virtue of being a Colt.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
GI-45, you might want to check out the New COLT 1911 A1. there's a thread already running here.
Yes, if I could have any 1911, it would definitely be that one. But it's not for sale here in CA.
Plus it's a little bit out of my price range.

Thanks for those details, FirearmsPlus.FL

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 07-22-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts