1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering tracking down a series one custom classic based on some of the advice given by Pat Rogers and Hilton Yam about training--this will be a big move for me considering that I had one that I couldn't get right. My first gun was an early NY CC walnut--looked beautiful but I could never get it reliable--it only worked with the one magazine it came with, all the other mags; more kimber, meggar, CMC shooting stars; I tried wouldn't work. Also, I developed a pretty good flinch; so I sold it and bought a glock 9mm. After a few years of practice with the Glock, I rented another Kimber and later a SA loaded, and the guns felt like extensions of my hand--no more flinch. I have since bought a NRM SS Colt that I am very happy with.
Thinking about a Kimber CC or SA loaded for more experience with the modern configured 1911.
I know I want a series I carbon steel Custom classic. Wondering what different variations these come in. I know there are the early Oregon and NY guns with plastic triggers and slotted screws. Somewhere along the line they moved to hex screws and AL triggers.
I've also heard that eventually Kimber went to all SS slides and frames--just blackened for the non-stainless marked guns. I've read certain gunsmiths saying that at some point the metallurgy in the Kimbers suffered and the metal became softer.

Does anyone know when these changes took place? What year or # range.

I recently had a dealer at a gunshow try to sell me an early series I gun (plastic trigger and slotted screws) that had some sort of wood grips that wrapped around at the bottom of the frontstrap with the remainder of the frontstrap covered in griptape. He insisted that the gun hadn't been tinkered with and that even the grips and tape were from the factory. I just walked away.
-Chad

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
could be wrong, but i think the only way to guarantee getting a carbon steel gun rather than a blackened stainless, is to get the "Royal" or "gold match" versions, which they've been making almost since the beginning, and through all the variations you mention. I think that gun show dealer was pulling your plonker about those grips though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carbon steel?

Does anyone else have more information on how to make sure you don't get stainless frame or slide on these guns?

-Chad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts