1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I have been a 1911forum reader for a few years now. I'm a reader not a writer. But felt the need to share.

I have owned a full size Kimber for 3 years but it's ust too darn big for me to carry.......so began the search for the perfect carry gun.....what a pain in the butt. But in a good way. Now I own a p239, J frame airweight, 2 ppk's and a G23.

I like a little about all of the above, but something about each one doesn't really fit the bill. Why did it take me so long to come back around to the 1911?

2 weeks ago I went shopping for a new duck hunting hat and wandered by the used gun counter. Oops. Kimber Series I Ultra Carry, clean and tight as the day it was born.......$550 in the box. I showed a little restraint. I went home ate lunch checked prices on the net and headed back 2 hours later. My wife's the one that convinced me to go grab it. Yes, she rules.

This leads to the next adventure. I took it to the range and it shoots just as wonderfully as the full size, just in a lighter more concealable package.

Now the night sight issue. I wanted them! Just to stubborn to pay much. I found Heinies at Midway for $86. Grabbed them and did my reasearch on installing. The toughest part was getting the stock kimber ones out. What a bugger that was. Lots of knuckle skin shed on that job. New ones just took some patience, sand paper, wet stone and a big ass hammer.

Any suggestions on how to get the brass drift marks off the new sights?

I think I may have found the perfect carry package for me. Ultra, Heinie's, WC mag all tucked in a CTAC. Very Cool!

Thanks to all that post on this board and the huge wealth of information it provides.

Time to head to the range and do a final adjust on the sights!

Bye...........Bioguy1

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
From what I've read here, most of your better bore cleaners will remove the brass marks.

Hope this helps,
Brian

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had success removing brass marks by using a piece of Kleen Bore's "Lead Away" cloth, which also works well for removing the burn rings from a revolver cylinder. Use light pressure when you rub the sights to avoid removing some of the finish along with the brass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. My range session was successful and I am done pounding on the sights.

I'll try some bore cleaner.

Bye.......Bioguy1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts