1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by my not-so-success story.........

Earlier this year I was able to acquire a NIB, never fired Series I Classic Custom (built in mid '97 I believe). I was happier than the veritable pig in **** - until I shot it. Multiple FTF's (even after the "break-in period") and there was something serisously wrong with the sights (shot very far down and to the left. Wasn't me as I had 2 other USPSA shooters shoot it with the same results). My heart was absolutely broken. After some extractor tweaking, polishing of the breachface, taking 20 thousandths off the front sight and installing an MMC rear (and replacing the front with another stock Kimber front), it finally ran like it was supposed to and shot where it was supposed to. I wasn't real pleased that I had to do this much to the "Holy Grail" of Kimbers. I've yet to become fully confident in it for some reason even though I've got about 1,000 trouble-free rounds through it since the work's been done. Perhaps in time....

Now to the Series II. It was with great hesitation that I acquired a Stainless TLE II after reading about all the problems with the Series II. The deal was smokin' and I simply would have been a fool to pass it up. I decided to take 500 rounds (Remington, Federal, Independance and my IDPA/USPSA reloads) and break it in in one go. I cleaned it real good, oiled it up so that it was slingin' the stuff. Shot 200, cleaned, shot another 200, cleaned and another 100.

To put it simply -

* Not one FTF or FTE.
* Absolutely accurate, giving me 2-3" groups at 25 yards offhand.
* Performed app. 300 various draw drills to see if the Series II safety system would give me any hiccups with poor grabs - not one failure to fire, even with some rather "off" grabs.
* Performed app. 10 Bill Drills at 10 yards - rewarded with good times and good hits.
* Used factory Kimber mags, KimPro Tac Mags, Springer mags, and some cheapo $5.00 gun-show-specials. Not one hiccup.

So in a nutshell, it seems as though I've experience the oppposite of what so many others have seemed to. I find it a bit odd, but nevertheless, my faith in Kimber has gone up a couple notches.:)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks for the positive report. I was beginning to think I was the only one that had a Series II that worked. Enjoy your pistol, you definitely got one of the good ones.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with Series II pistols, the problems are with the Series IIe versions with the external extractor. Just to be sure, however, I had John Nowlin check the firing pin interface on mine when he installed a short trigger. Works fine.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Series II had a few glitches. But after the first 500rds it has been great. I believe i am somewhere around 1500rds now at 100%.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chuck S said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with Series II pistols, the problems are with the Series IIe versions with the external extractor. -- Chuck
Mine indeed has the external extractor. From what I gather, it seems as though the externals aren't as reliable in the compact models. I'd venture to guess that it may have something to do with the decreased slide mass. I'd be iterested in seeing how well S&W's extractor holds up if/when they come out with a compact model.:scratch:

I would also suspect that while we are seeing the compacts come with internals now, perhaps they will stay with the external in the Gov't sized models. Our shop just received two Raptors, one being a Pro model. Interesting thing is that the Pro has the internal while the full sized still has the external. ;)

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I'd be surprised if the guy who bought the external extractor design still works for Kimber (unless he's a part owner!). Mine failed to extract during the first magazine down range and continued thru 9 months and at least 3 newer extractors before it was fixed.

Kimber didn't replace my slide with an internal extractor, I did that myself!

-- Chuck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Forgot to mention my custom II is indeed an internal extractor. I bought it from turners when they were getting rid of all their internal extractors for the new "tactical" extractor.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Glad to hear things worked out for you brother... My Tac Pro 2 has been flawlessly in functionality. The finish is showing more wear than I would like, however the gun itself is running like a champ!

Happy Shooting!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NaturalSelector said:
The finish is showing more wear than I would like, however the gun itself is running like a champ!

Happy Shooting!
That's just a sign of good, honest use. ;) There is virtually no finish left on the grip portion of the frame of my Custom Classic and all of the "highs" of the slide are down to bare steel..... just the way I like it. There's just something about honest holster wear.:)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
LeMat said:
That's just a sign of good, honest use. ;) There is virtually no finish left on the grip portion of the frame of my Custom Classic and all of the "highs" of the slide are down to bare steel..... just the way I like it. There's just something about honest holster wear.:)
Haha no doubt about that brother... Match that with some tarnishing on the hammer from sweat and we can at least hold our head high and claim we use ours.. ;) :biglaugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts