1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When seriating the top of the slide, is it better to flatten the top or follow the contour? What do most people like? What are the pros and cons of either? Any photos of both methods? Thanks, Sam

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Yes.
You can flat top the slide and serrate it or leave it round and serrate it. If you do not lower the rear sight it usually makes the front sight .040 or 25% taller. for some it makes it easier to follow on the draw. I have never seen a slide fail through a flat top or flat top serrate. Both sides of a the ejection port yes, flat top no.
You may want to keep the serrations a little finer if you use a dovetail sight though. course ones will limit the contact of the dovetail.
For carry the opposite applies. the sight will be shorter if you do not flat top the slide. Both give the custom look.
geo ><>

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
One advantage of the flatten and serrate is it lowers your front sight about .030, on Bomar sight installations, sometimes the rear sight leaf will have to be adjusted high almost out of adjustment to get it sighted in, by lowering your front sight you can get the elevation screw about 2 turns lower. I use 40 lpi on a flat top because you are getting kind of close to the upper locking lug.
I also serrate around the radius 30 lpi. Which will get the front sight about .015 lower. I stop the cutter short of running through the dovetail cut in front of the sight blade for 4 serration.
It is personal preference which you prefer, I like them both. I do think the 30 lpi around the radius looks proper and balances nice on top of the slide. Some smiths may not go around the radius because you need a 4th axis for the mill.

ArmySon will post a photo of a nice flat top and a photo of my round tops.
I always wanted to do a raised rib of this type but was afraid it would not turn out but as you can see this is a classy job.

Metal Smith

[This message has been edited by Metal Smith (edited 07-29-2001).]

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
The top photo is Son's Les Baer slide, the pinhole appears to be double drilled and ovaled so I welded the hole-up and redrilled, Son will post some new pic's when it comes back from the plater, Pete

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the photos and info. After seeing the two styles side by side, I think I like following the contour of the slide. I always thought that I'd like a flat top, but by keeping it round, you keep those gracefull lines. Metal Smith, any problems with Novak fixed sights when keeping it round? Thanks, Sam

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
No problem Sam with the "Novak" fixed sight with a round top, the photos sport "Novak" sights, Metal Smith

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Pete... The Raised Rib Enhanced slide actually does look nice...

I was talking to Chuck earlier, and we were discussing this for my LWT Enhanced Commander. I'm not particularly fond of the rib, and was considering removing, but now, based on discussions with Chuck, and this pic, I may have found something I can be happy with.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Hi jaydee,
Actually the rib serrations look better in real life, the camera magnifies things and makes them look a little course. You could remove the rib but that would be a lot of work, the raised rib can be trimmed down a bit though if you like. The front sight is silver soldered in on this rib per customers request, nice job if I do say so myself, Metal Smith

1 - 11 of 11 Posts