1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im working on my custom order and had a couple questions. According to the order form on EB's website they offer...
Flatten & serrate top (for a certain price)
Custom rib (includes flatten & serrated top, plus relief cuts on each side, gives the appearance of a raised rib) For a Larger Price of course
What is the difference appearance wise of these two incase someone has pictures of the difference.... and finally, does anyone have a pic of the SS EB commander with a rail?

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
3 o'clock and 5 o'clock are just flattened and serrated

7 o'clock, 9 o'clock, 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock are raised ribs.

I think the raised rib look is much better looking. More money but to me worth it.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The first option is just what is says, that is, the top of the slide is flattened and then serrated from the front sight to the rear sight. Search for an image of an Ed Brown Executive Target and you'll see an example.

The second option takes some additional material off on both sides of the above serrations so it appears to be raised - much like what is commonly referred to as a Clark Rib. Search for an image of a Clark Rib and you'll get the idea.

Despite the advertising copy, I find both to have no practical benefit - but both sure do look pretty and I'd consider them for a custom build.

Good luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
3 o'clock and 5 o'clock are just flattened and serrated

7 o'clock, 9 o'clock, 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock are raised ribs.

I think the raised rib look is much better looking. More money but to me worth it.
I really like how they did #7 with the front sight. Looks sharp. Is that a special option request?

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I really like how they did #7 with the front sight. Looks sharp. Is that a special option request?
I don't recall paying anything for it to go through the front sight at the time it, but I did have to ask for it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I love the look - Nothing but Bling but Nice Bling, lol

I went for the Flatten and serrated only = $100

Flatten and serrated + Custom raised rib look = $350

I called Jim to get his C/C number to pay for the Custom rib, LOL - He would not give it to me, so I stay with the $100 Job

I like the look but just could not cough up an extra $250

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
As always, not only Jim's collection but photos are gorgeous, first rate.

I would tend to agree that this option is mostly cosmetic, if a argument could be made for the useful practicality of the option, it would be on a uncoated SS gun, IMHO.

I see far more customers who choose one of these options go with the flatten and serrated as opposed to the custom rib, this is no doubt mostly to cost.

Both look great, and the 'raised' rib looks great on the right build.

The custom rib is in fact the same height and it simply looks raised due to material being machined away for the sides or to radius of the slide, this is why this option is more expensive.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone have a shot of an EB rail on a commander?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts