1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We talk about steel 5" government model 1911s as primary concealed carry weapons. I'm curious as to how many carry a steel 4" barrel service revolver as their primary concealed carry defensive weapon.

Specific revolvers identified include but are not limited to:

Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel in .38 Special +P.

Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum with fixed or adjustable sights.

Any other quality 4" barrel service revolver .38 caliber and up.

I realize this is a 1911 forum, but I believe quality double-action revolvers are making a comeback. I didn't post this in the revolver forum because my primary concern is concealed carry. Also, I'm not interested in small frame, 5-shot snub nose models; only blued or stainless steel 4" barrel service revolvers.

Thanks all.

G

·
Your thread was moved to Revolvers since the guru's that can answer your question are in this section of the board.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your thread was moved to Revolvers since the guru's that can answer your question are in this section of the board.
Sorry about that, Mark. I started to go to the revolver forum, but it was a toss up in my mind and I wasn't sure which forum was appropriate. Thanks for your help, Sir.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I carried my S&W 686 (4 inch) for a while, but then relegated it to bed duty. I know a lot of LEA's carried these right before switching to autos in the 80's. For a personal protection wheel gun, I can't ask for anything more. Besides my polymer autos, it is the only carry gun that refuses to rust.

Accurate, Dependable, No Corrosion and good looking.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
personally my favorite carry revolver is the rb model 10 snubby. The acuracy with the short barrel is such that I don't feel the need to carry the longer 4", though I do also own a HB 4" model 10.

G

·
If the goal is to shot .38 +P or +P+ I'd opt for a revolver chambered in .357.

You'd have a ton of ammo options. Plus the older service pistols are not expensive by any means.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I carry a S&W 22-4 in 45 ACP, with a 4" Barrel and a 442 as a BUG off duty.

I will be switching to a Ruger GP100 with a 3" Barrel and the 442 because I have "ammo compatability" and the Ruger is a little easier to carry.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I never considered carrying a 4" service revolver. They are too thick to conceal easily. The 1911 is just so slim.

·
Registered
122 Posts
4 inch barrels can be a little long for concealed carry. Most opt for a 3inch or shorter... a real popular choice as of late seems to be a 3 inch model 65 round butt.... It is what I carry and is more narrow than a 686.... you have to consider that a 4 inch BBL 1911 is about the same overall length as a 3 inch K frame S&W revolver.... There are many police trade in model 65's out there for about $300.00.... its a stainless revolver so, it can be polished or bead blasted to look like new

·
Registered
745 Posts
I don't carry a wheel gun presently, but do want to pick up a 4" S&W 325PD .45ACP ASAP. Once I do it will go in my carry rotation. I wouldn't have a problem carrying a revolver as a primary.

-Hershey

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I carry a service revolver for concealed carry it is a 4" stainless steel Colt King Cobra with neoprene Hogue Monogrips. In a good holster it is no harder to carry than any other full size gun. I often carry a Beretta 92F, a 4" service revolver is not a problem. The S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 would serve just as well. I think that these 3 revolvers are the epitomy of 357 magnum service revolvers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I never considered carrying a 4" service revolver. They are too thick to conceal easily. The 1911 is just so slim.
I don't know if 4" revolvers would be different, but my SP101 is less than .3 inch wider at its widest point than my Kimber Pro Carry. It is wider for more of the length, though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Dad carries his 4" S&W Model 64-1 .38 on occasion, and I sometimes carry my 3" S&W Model 64-3 .357, both are stainless with heavy barrels.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When I carry a revolver, lately, it's usually off duty. I primarily carry my 66-4 3", or 66-2 2.5".

I recently picked up a well used, but not abused 4" 66-3, and have carried it fairly frequently lately. I'm 6' 1", 235 so I can conceal pretty much anything.

If I was forced by new laws, or sorry circumstances, to have to only carry one handgun, a 4" pre lock S&W model 66 would be it. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Interesting thread. One wonders why anyone would carry a service revolver more suited to uniformed duty concealed. But there are reasons. I carried my LAPD-issue M67 4" .38 off-duty for some time after graduating from the academy...I was waiting for a nice 2" M60 to turn up. The 67 wore Pachmayrs. I still have it, and it sometimes rides with me on some car trips (it will be purchased for $68.00 when I retire this year). I also have a nice M64 .38 4" that occasionally sees the inside of my waistband. Both are great revolvers that are accurate, hard-hitting (with the right loads) and not too uncomfortable to carry. Not the first choice, however, especially in warm weather (most of the time in LA). I also have a 3" M10 .38 round butt that was my primary off-duty gun in the early 90's. A little easier to conceal, a lot easier to shoot than a 2" J-frame.
Bob

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Like others on this forum I'm primarily a 1911 guy, but my first high powered handgun was a 4" S&W 686P stainless and I still love it. Extremely accurate and very smooth trigger. By the way, to all the LEO's on this board...thank you so very sincerely for your service and risking your very lives for us each day you're on duty. You have my utmost respect and admiration. Same with veterans.

Tom

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've carried a HB 3" Mod 10, 2 1/2" Mod 19, and a 2 3/4" Ruger Speed-Six in the past. Just picked up an older blued 2 3/4" Ruger Security-Six last week. After I tweak the action a bit, I'll be carrying it......When I worked a gunstore, I often had a 4" Mod 15 on my hip.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have carried my M58 concealed, too. A good holster and my size, along with intelligent clothing choices make it work more easily.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts