1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering who else here belives setting specific goals can help improve your shooting. For instance my current goals are to get my B card in Limited this year(proving a bit harder than expected) and my M card by the time I'm 21. Anyone else set goals? And how often do you accomplish them in the time you've set?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The achievement of my goals gets delayed by stupid little things like employment, food, shelter....y'know, dumb stuff.

(If it weren't for that, I'd be a regular Robbie Leatham!)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Setting goals is good, so long as they are attainable. I prefer to break goals down into smaller bite size chunks. I.E. shaving 5/100 of a second off the draw time, next time its hitting one more point than las time. It seems to work better for me.

-The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't think I used to set goals but now that I shoot I do. So far my goals do not have a time frame. One of my goals is to become a B class shooter (currently the lowest C out there). Most of my goals are more short term like drawing quicker and doing mag changes more accurately. This summer I have a goal of stockpiling about 10,000 reloads to use next year in practice (as a teacher, summer is my time to do things).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Right!! Set goals that are both (A) Measureable, and (B) Time Bound. For example, begin to score x% (B Range) by September 15th.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I set goals and I also set benchmarks and track performance. Like Electric_Armadillo, I break the goals down into smaller chunks. Tracking improvement builds confidence. Matt Burkett has a good section in his book about goals.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
When I started shooting IDPA matches a couple of years ago I picked certain shooters to beat as my goal. As my shooting improved I picked better shooters. I like competing against my friend Mike Benedict, sometimes he wins, sometimes I do. I find that I improve by competing against other shooters rather than the clock.

·
Registered
263 Posts
PK, how old are you now? I am 21, and i want to be a solid B class this year, and hope to move into A soon after winter.

As for small goals, i never took the time for that, i pick the highest shooter there and compete with HIM. when you have a GM at your club, you get used to having STIFF competition. still can't beat him...yet, but he shot production, which is the only gun i shoot constantly or consistantly at this ping.

bottom line, setting goals you can reach is best for most people, i will reach mine, it just takes a little longer!

------------------
Any gun will do if You will do.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smoney, I turn 18 this weekend. I came in as a C at the end of last year, and actually regressed somewhat from where I was at the end of last season. I'm just now starting to show some improvement.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think setting goals is extremely important if you really want to improve.

A couple of months after I started shooting I made it my goal to qualify as a SS in CDP (which I did) I also picked a person in my club and decided to work until I could beat him. Which I eventually did. Then my goal was to place high enough in nationals last year to move up to CDP Expert (which I did). Along the way, as I got better, I picked better people in my club that I wanted to be able to beat on a consistent basis... Now my goal is to place high enough at Nationals to move up to Master (actually my real goal is to win CDP Exp at Nats, but I'll be pretty happy if I can place high enough to move up.) Then I will REALLY have to work to keep up with all the Masters in my club!!

Set a goal, and work, practice etc.. until you meet that goal.. then set another one.

Good shooting!!

------------------
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

"I have done nothing... for that I am ashamed" --Mel Gibson, The Patriot

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I also use the "pick someone to beat" technique, and have used these people as stepping stones to reach my higher goals.

I think beating your "target" is the most satisfying kind of goal, but anything measurable will work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts