1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is giving reloading dies for a 45 acp for my birthday. My question is how is the best way to adjust them so my reloads work in my 1911? I'm not a novice at reloading as I've been reloading rifle and revolvers for about 30 years and after getting my first centerfire semi I need to start reloading for it. I'm curtainly using a RCBS Rockchucker for a press but am thinking of getting a progressive once I get use to loading for the 1911.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Dodge - what brand of dies? Just as for your other loading dies, these should have a set of instructions detailing the adjustments you need to do to get them operating correctly! Best to start with those. I load with Lee carbide dies for the .45ACP. I found thru trial and error that I had to adjust the expander die just right as not to bell the .45ACP case mouth too much, otherwise when I seated and crimped a bullet the round wouldn't fully chamber in my 1911. Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
697 Posts
dodge,

You would set them up basically the same as you would for a revolver or rifle, with the following exceptions:

1 Overall length is more critical with pistol than revolver. Loading manuals specify OAL for particular bullets. Be aware that seating deeper than specified will increase pressures.

2 A taper crimp is recommended for pistols. Many people, me included, use a Lee Factory Taper Crimp Carbide Die to crimp in a separate operation after seating a bullet.

3 Pistols may be somewhat fussy about bullet shape in regard to reliable feeding.

4 Notwithstanding #1, OAL may need to be tweaked for your particular pistol.

Regarding progressive presses: In my opinion, 5-station presses are more versatile than 4-station. It will take at least 4-5 times as long to load ammo on a single stage prees as it would on an optimized progressive. If done with care and attention, quality will be similar. Carbide sizing dies are preferable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have a Hornady Projector 5 station progressive machine for sale in the gear and accessories section. It's a complete set-up and will make reloading for the 45 awhole lot easier. I have too many machines and ran out of space. I have 3 of these and they work great. I just don't have the room for the third one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Got the dies for my birthday (birthday at the first of the month) and then received everything else for Xmas. CCI primers, Unique, and Winchester 230 gr. JHP for bullets. Loaded some up with 6 grs. of Unique in Magtech brass ( I know not the best brand but what I had on hand). Loaded at 1.245 OAL tryed 1.250 but slide didn't seem to close right. I measured some Speer 230 gr Gold Dot which feeds very well in my pistol. Went out to the range and they shot at point of aim and with about a 3" group at 7 paces off hand. I didn't feel this was all that bad as this was the first time for loading 45 acp. Will try other brands of powder and bullets until I find that magic load. I got a great family as they usually try to get me most everything that I put on my list even the gun related itemsand then once in awhile they surprise me with a gun. I hope everybody had a Happy Holiday.:) :) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts