1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
EB Kobra Carry, WC Protector, Colt Combat Elite, T Series BHP, and a Walther PPK to name a few faves
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not knockin it...just don't understand the point of it? So...
what's the point? :unsure::p

·
Registered
Small primers forever!
2,983 Posts
Bah. Some of us wear, and alseo spend the day banging into and off of things like tables, doorframes, etc.

It's easy on the mind to know I must depress the LEFTSIDE lever to cock, and I can just brush the hand over the butt to check hammer is DOWN all day. YMMV

If I wasn't paying off car-repairs for the foreseeable future, I'd be sending my 1911 into BHSS for an SFS install on sale now.

·
Registered
EB Kobra Carry, WC Protector, Colt Combat Elite, T Series BHP, and a Walther PPK to name a few faves
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a gimmick for those who are very scared of cond 1 carry.its the only reason one would want to make things more complacated then need be!
Yup. That's what I thought. Kinda weird. :unsure:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Bah. Some of us wear, and also spend the day banging into and off of things like tables, doorframes, etc."
Stop drinking!! ;):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I carry other SA pistols with the hammer in the cocked condition. But not the High Power. All of my High Powers employ SFS. If SFS was available for my other SA pistols, I would install it straight away.

SFS allows for hammer forward carry with no change to the manual of arms, except to put the pistol on safe, you press the hammer forward. It is an excellent upgrade to the High Power or a 1911. If John Browning had the vision to devise SFS, traditional cocked and locked would not exist.

Benefits for the High Power:
-Better trigger pull
-No more hammer bite
-No hammer digging into your flesh when carried IWB
-Better safety
-Extended slide stop allows for easier disassembly

*The extended slide stop can be employed on any High Power

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
938 Posts
Some BHPs have weak safeties - the detent is sloppy, the lever is too small or flat, and so I can understand while some feel anxious about cocked and locked in that case. My great grandfather's Colt M1908 really doesn't even have a detent, the safety just uses friction against the frame to stay in place...sort of. Maybe that was more reassuring in the 1920's when it was new and tight, but I certainly wouldn't carry it in my vest pocket like that today.

Today, we have much better holsters and all the modern safeties I've seen (on my two BHPs, and on 1911s) are positive, firm, with a significant detent. I can't imagine a scenario where I could accidentally disengage the safety carrying concealed. If I could, I would either get a DA/SA or remove that particular pistol from my EDC rotation.

For those who prefer DA/SA setups, turning the hammer basically into a decocker is really clever, as @jtq wrote. Too each their own. I have no need for it on any of my pistols.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I put it on my FEG because of hammer bite. My BHPs didn’t bite, but the FEG did and with glee. Installing the SFS cured it - no bite. The SFS is not for everyone but has its purposes.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Some BHPs have weak safeties - the detent is sloppy

Today, we have much better holsters and all the modern safeties I've seen (on my two BHPs, and on 1911s) are positive, firm, with a significant detent. I can't imagine a scenario where I could accidentally disengage the safety carrying concealed.

For those who prefer DA/SA setups, turning the hammer basically into a decocker is really clever,
as @jtq wrote. Too each their own. I have no need for it on any of my pistols.
First off... SFS in no way turns the hammer "basically into a decocker". Pressing the cocked hammer forward activates the safety. The pistol remains cocked and locked, just like always, except the hammer is in a forward position. Swiping the safety lever down,xactly likoriginal system, releases the hammer which immediately returns to the fire position. My oldest SFS (factory installed!) BHP has never failed in over 20 years of use. It did once stump a Chicago Police RO/Armorer during a public range day. Huge smile when I moved the safety lever down and the hammer popped up!

If you prefer a DA/SA decocker pistol, SFS will not satisfy you.

Every so often I find the safety in my Sig P238 Legion, which has an excellent and very positive safety, has moved to the ready to fire position. Others have reported this condition with High Powers and other single action pistols which are typically carried cocked and locked. This has NEVER happened with any of my SFS equipped High Powers. I use the same high quality holster for the Sig and High Power.

Lastly, a weak safety on a High Power can be remedied without installing SFS. And, as others have written, SFS is not for everyone. I find it to be an elegant upgrade to a safety concept designed well over 100 years ago.

Cheers,

Tim

Camera accessory Reflex camera Digital camera Camera lens Cameras & optics

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me. But to each his own! 🤣

Reactions: TXGR

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That is a clever and often used old quip!
Think of it as the natural evolution of a fine system.

... and not for everyone. I read about it in some gun rag while looking for my first High Power. It intrigued me at the time so I special ordered a MKlll - SFS and have never looked back.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If you are going to quote me at least mention my name. LOL ;)

The SFS is a love it or hate it sort of thing. I fall into the hate it camp but if someone else wants to use it great. I think it is good to have options. I remember that former member Burgs was a fan so it can't be all bad. LOL

For long time I was indifferent to it but the BHSS started selling it and promoting it as the end all be all improvement to the platform that solved all trigger problems, made the gun more accurate and dried your dishes with no spotting all at the same time. There claims are total hype. I really only started speaking my mind about it once that narrative started showing up.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I once had a long conversation with Don Williams about it. IIRC the first one he installed back in the day was for a LEO who was not allowed to carry cocked and locked so he wanted to install the SFS to allow him to carry his BHP. At least I think it was a BHP it could have been a 1911. At that time C&S was the distributor of the SFS system for 1911s and BHPs. Don installed it. It worked and off it went to the officer. Don did not know if it passed muster once it was with its owner in terms of on-duty carry.

I often ask people like Don and Ted Yost a lot of questions. I used to ask Jim Garthwaite questions as well. I value their options because in the end they have seen more BHPs than I most likely will see in my lifetime. They understand how they work and how to get the best out of them. None of these masters of the BHP recommend the SFS to their customers. The only 2 shops who have ever marketed to them or pushed them as a solution were C&S when they were the distributor and BHSS who is now the distributor. To me that tells you something. YMMV

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have owned 2 Hi Powers with SFS. Both installed by BHSS. The system is solid and it does provide a reasonable trigger pull/feel. Break is crisp and predictable without having to do an action job. I did it more as a curiosity verses any concerns about carrying condition 1.

SFS is not for me but I totally understand why some of the fellas like it. For me it, it is like the Mustang SVO from the 80s. Interesting concept. Well engineered. But not interesting enough to overcome a desire for Shelby GT power and retro style.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I have owned 2 Hi Powers with SFS. Both installed by BHSS. The system is solid and it does provide a reasonable trigger pull/feel. Break is crisp and predictable without having to do an action job. I did it more as a curiosity verses any concerns about carrying condition 1.

SFS is not for me but I totally understand why some of the fellas like it. For me it, it is like the Mustang SVO from the 80s. Interesting concept. Well engineered. But not interesting enough to overcome a desire for Shelby GT power and retro style.
I guess my thought is always that a crisp and predicable break can be accomplished with C&S parts or a trigger job on factory parts. No need to change the manual of arms to achieve that.

Reactions: Che and TXGR
1 - 20 of 29 Posts