1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HS P barrel advice valuation

Please. Thanks in advance. I'll work on better pictures of marks later, but HS on one side of lug, P on the other. I have another post in this forum with a G barrel, trying to get a fair deal for a buddy who lost his brother. Won't hold anyone to anything, just looking for sound advice whether it be take them to a gunsmith or shop for opinion or whatever. At least maybe i can get a starting point as far as value if any from the experts here.
[URL="[/URL]
[URL="[/URL]

[URL="[/URL]
[URL="[/URL]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
HS P mark pics

P on 1 barrel has italics other does not. Just couldn't grab a non blurry pic of the one. Again, any advice on value would be appreciated.

[URL="[/URL]
[URL="[/URL]

[URL="[/URL]

·
Administrator
73,082 Posts
They're not SH barrels, they are HS for High Standard, which produced the lion's share of barrels for M1911A1 pistols during World War Two. In great shape they're usually worth around $200-$250 depending on how close to mint they are. Yours show signs of use but have excellent bores so I'd say $180-$200.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HS versus SH I knew that had a brain hem.

God i feel like an idiot, gonna edit it. Had a small brain event causes transposing among other quirks. Thanks for correction.

·
Administrator
73,082 Posts
Well, now that you mention it it does kinda look like an SH to me. :scratch: :p :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks dsk

Does anyone know just for giggles the difference (if there is one )between larger (perhaps italicized, perhaps a scratch) p in pic directly below foreground? And the smaller p foreground 2nd picture? Might be getting into the weeds, if i am you'll all let me know. Thanks again.
[URL="[/URL]

[URL="[/URL]

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Wife just asked me why I'm doing a headstand on the desk in front of the computer...
I told her it's USGI style yoga.

I think dsk's valuation is spot on based on what's been selling on ebay. Never seen that fancy P before. Sure it's not a lower case "d"???

·
Premium Member
15,362 Posts
I don't get it - do we ever see the alleged 'HS' on the barrel with the serif 'P'? I can't find it in the pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
p in pics

Ill try to retake and flip. One p is certainly different. Probably not relevant to value, but since im a bit anal once i get to researching weapons, and i KNOW, there are experts here. Thought I'd pitch it out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
but it is a p

Whether serif or not?? There is a difference between the 2 in size and location. Whether serif or scratch...maybe moot anyway. The p is outlined in numerous articles in this forum, on my phone not so easy access.

·
Premium Member
15,362 Posts
I was just wondering if the 'HS' not yet shown looks different than the one shown - like the 'P's are different. I haven't personally seen or heard of a difference but maybe someone has.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Whether serif or not?? There is a difference between the 2 in size and location. Whether serif or scratch...maybe moot anyway. The p is outlined in numerous articles in this forum, on my phone not so easy access.
willypete,

I think there is a difference in the size of the P and the time frame it was made.? The large P is an earlier barrel and the small P a later barrel---not sure when it transitioned.? Most pistols (with correct HS barrels) I have examined have had the large P, most small P barrels I have seen were not in a pistol (replacement barrels?).?

Best Regards,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks saxman

Dsk, stan, and all. I have upgraded to supporter and will be taking dsk's advice and placing these items on fleabay today. I appreciate the feedback, and hope they find the right home on the right weapon where they belong. The insight I gained into the evolution of the 1911 while researching these parts while not planned, makes me eager to drag out the hi powers next and see what history has to say. Great bunch of folks, great forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts