1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Made for my birthday last year by my good bud Alex Nossar in Peru with a custom handmade buckle.

Another example of Alex's work shown with a full exotic rig for a Commander.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, sweet belts there by Nossar. I couldn't tell from the pics, but are the edges thinned out, so that it has a domed effect?

·
Registered
546 Posts
torrejon, do you wear all that fancy gear or just drool over it? go ahead and sell me the rest of your commander holsters since you have all those fine Nossar rigs!

Not my picture, but I had a DM Bullard black tiger shark belt... great belt, but I just can't get enough of my ugly old Wilderness instructor belt. Mr Bullard double stitches his belts, heavy duty roller buckles, overall very nice and a great price.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
The top or cordovan one does have a sort of "domed" affect but not the black one. Yep, I both wear and drool over them!! Both are kevlar lined and I doubt I'd ever have to buy another there so well built. Probably wind up putting all this stuff in my will!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, I love the domed look. Any reason why one has it and not the other? Did you specify them that way?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not the best picture in the world, but the best I've got on a host site:
Milt Sparks belt, #60TK, and single mag carrier all with cordovan sharkskin.

I got these as a set in '01 IIRC and I wear the belt daily. It's beginning to show some wear, and has a pretty good kink where the belt goes through the buckle, but it's comfortable and still great looking.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Shamster, to answer your question, thats just the way they came. The cordovan one was a birthday present and Alex had told me he was going to make it "special" which he definitely did but I'm sure you can spec his belts that way if you like the "look". I also have shark belts from Kramer, Rafters S, Wilson and Alessi and the construction on the Nossar belts makes the others look like they were put together by kids. The Kramer belt is much higher priced than the Nossar but the quality doesn't begin to come close!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Shark belts

That's a little harsh. You are certainly entitled to you opinion, but my shark belt from Lou Alessi - domed, with a sterling sliver buckle/keeper/belt tip stands right alongside anything I have seen.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Al, you are certainly correct and I agree with you on Lou's belt. Haven't had enough coffee yet this morning however I will maintain that for the others mentioned especially the Kramer. I bought mine from someone who didn't understand the proper way to measure and their loss was my gain but the stitching patterns were uneven, some areas were beveled, some weren't, some of the shark looked like it should have been rejected due to the pattern. Just poor overall quality and for $300 +!! Kramer used to turn out excellent products but some of the examples I have seen in the past few years were pretty sad!! Thanks again for pointing that out!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info.

Regarding Lou's belts, I have always favored his shark belts. I'm still kinda kicking myself for not getting a shark belt for him sooner.

Seeing these pics made me drool at the time...

Can't always tell through pics, but are the Nossar ones even nicer than these?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Here's my rig from Rafter S. After twelve years of routine use it still looks nearly new, it's some of the best gun related money I've ever spent.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Shark belts

Shamster:

That's exactly the belt of Lou's I have.

Also have a full shark DOJ for my Commander.

Another great maker of shark belts:

Mike Meredith of Pocket Concealment Systems (a friend and student of Lou's).

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got my shark belt from C Rusty Sherrick. I specifically asked him to make it so that it would have the domed effect. He did this by sandwiching a strip of horsehide between the outer and inner layers, which also serves as an added stiffener.

The belt is fantastic, and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, and the pic doesn't do it justice. I am not a great photographer, and took this at night with crappy indoor lighting.
Maybe I'll try a pic under natural sunlight during the day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts