1911Forum banner

Ship handguns?

971 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  jimbo
Are there any differences in legal requirements for shipping handguns via FFL then shipping long guns? I have sold quite a few long guns online, but I have not sold a handguns yet. I know here in MI to purchase a hundgun I have to go to the local PD to buy a permit- is this the same everywhere in the U.S.?

Thanks a bunch for the help!
Jonathan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
461 Posts
1911kid said:
Are there any differences in legal requirements for shipping handguns via FFL then shipping long guns? I have sold quite a few long guns online, but I have not sold a handguns yet. I know here in MI to purchase a hundgun I have to go to the local PD to buy a permit- is this the same everywhere in the U.S.?

Thanks a bunch for the help!
Jonathan
1911kid,

Yes, there are different requirements for shipment of handguns and long guns.

Starting with long guns, you (as a non-FFL holder) can use USPS, UPS, or FedEx to ship to an FFL.

Handguns get a little restrictive. No USPS unless FFLs at both ends. You can use UPS or FedEx to ship handguns to an FFL.

Caveat: BATFE allows handgun/long gun shipments via commercial means by non-FFL holders when state and local regulations permit. In NYS (if I interpreted the regs correctly), you can only ship handguns as a non-FFL for repair or rework only. Handgun transfers out of state must be between FFLs.

Regarding your question about differences in state's requirements for handgun purchases, yes they vary.

NYS requires you to obtain a permit (CCW or on-premesis permit) just to have a handgun. Permit waits can hover around 6 months (a heck of a wait). Once you have it, additional purchases take a week or so (each handgun must be added to your permit as a amendment - at a cost). By the way, the NYS permit is not valid in NYC (as they have their own restrictions).

Other states are more relaxed than this...not sure if any are states more stringent than this.

· Registered
18 Posts
It seems apparent that the non-licensed seller may ship a handgun via common or contract carrier (i.e. Fedex, UPS) to an FFL holder in another state. However, is this restricted when shipping to an FFL holder in a state which has numerous handgun restrictions, such as CA or MA? In other words, can a non-licensed seller ship a handgun with impunity to an FFL holder in let's say L.A. or Boston, or must he have in-depth knowledge of the receiving state's local laws? I assume that it is the receiving FFL holder's responsibility to verify legality of the handgun in their locality, which is the whole idea behind insisting that interstate shipments be received by licensed dealers. Is this accurate?

· Banned
7,478 Posts
If you're in Michigan you're not bound by the laws of any other state. Period. The receiving FFL is bound by his state's laws and he'll let ya know if the box needs pink ribbon or anything else. :)

A "non-licensee" (dat's you) may transfer (ship) a firearm to a FFL in any state. Period. Methods of shipping noted above.

Unless superseded by your state law a "non-licensee" can transfer or ship a firearm to anyone, licensed or not, within the same state who is entitled to own firearms. No interstate transfer takes place, hence no FEDERAL fireams license or other FEDERAL restrictions. I can sell a firearm and ship it anywhere in Ohio with no restrictions. (Your state laws may vary.)

-- Chuck

· Registered
740 Posts
AFAIK You may also ship to yourself at another address (you're supposed to be the one to open the package).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.