1911Forum banner

Shipping 1911 via FedEx, Please help ASAP

2853 48
Sending my Les Baer to a pistolsmith to have some mods done. Called a local Kinko's/FedEx this morning and was told that I need to bring the gun to the local FedEx office to have them wrap and inspect prior to shipping.:rolleyes: I had already begun to wrap it myself and held off once I heard this. Sounded somewhat odd and unable to find information on their website, would like to hear from someone who has recently shipped a pistol via FedEx.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
2,280 Posts
I recently went through this same nonesence myself. Unfortunately you will get a different answer every time you ask the question. I took my gun to FX wrapped and said it was an unloaded gun going back to the mfg. They looked at me like I was a criminal and took the shipment without issue. The best part is when they ask "is it loaded?" It it is so hard not to be a smart ass and say, yes it is. The are correct, you must take it to FX directly and not one of their agents. BTW, you can send it USPS for a fraction of the cost. I have done that as well.

· Registered
451 Posts
UPS/FedEx do not require the shipper to have FFL if shipping to a licensed dealer, manufacturer or FFL holder, as long as the shipment is not for sale or transfer (individual shipping locations may not know this, but these are their own regulations). The shipper and receiver must both have FFL if shipped through USPS for any reason...

Doc H. :cool:

· Registered
155 Posts
The only recommendation I can make is do your homework regarding the policy of each company you may use. I've been told a variety of different things from employees from drone-level up to manager, some right and some in direct conflict w/company policy.

One bit of advice, don't even think of sending it as "machine parts" without going through the hoops of company policy of shipping a handgun. If it's lost, stolen or broken, they can try to refuse to pay the insurance if it's shipped that way.

· Premium Member
17,472 Posts
All you have to do at USPS (if asked) is show a FFL. Doesn't have to be yours. You're allowed to send an employee to the Post Office, get it? Maybe your favorite FFL will let you use his paper. They just have to know there's FFL on each end, so you also need the FFL of the recipient. They have a form for this purpose you can pull down from their web site. Even so, I never use them. UPS has been fine, except the one time when the gun didn't arrive the next day; upon checking, the counter girl had put the box in a special place for safekeeping, then forgot to send it. I never did get my refund from them for not making the next day delivery I had paid for. The gun arrived on the second day.

· Registered
945 Posts
I shipped my Wilson back to Wilson late last year for some customizing. As expected, they really didn't seem to know what the policy was but they didn't hassle me at all. I had it in a plastic pistol case and they didn't inspect it. In fact, they handed me a box and told me to package it. They seemed to be appeased by the fact that it was going back to the manufacturer. But it was as easy as shipping anything else (in my experience, I can imagine that it's not always this way). I insured it with no trouble either and then went about my business.

· Registered
219 Posts
I sent a 1911 back to Colt 2 weeks ago with FedEx. All they asked is how is it packed. I said in the original packing and they were happy with that. The clerk actually apoligised for having to ask me that question.

· Banned
1,870 Posts
And the never ending saga of shipping firearms continues...:biglaugh:

Has anybody ever thought of contacting FedEx/UPS or dare I say it, the manufacturer, and asking for their advice? :scratch: Surely it is going to be far better, on average, then the dozen or more replies you will get online.

It seems that every FedEx/UPS office handles things differently depending on things like the phase of the moon, what day of the week/month it is, whether it is raining or sunny outside, and a whole host of other non-sensical reasons.

IMO, as worthless as it may be to some, the topic of how to properly ship a firearm is definitely worthy of a sticky.

· Registered
451 Posts
Well, actually, if you follow the thread link posted above, I did contact FedEx HQ with the response noted. I have also contacted UPS, and as you say, depends on the phase of the moon as to what response you get. Contacting Wilson did wonders to ease the way to shipping through my local FedEx - they contacted the HQ personally. Point is, there are Federal regulations and company poilcies that apply, and the shipper would do well to be familiar with them. That's not to say that the holiday temp you see at the FedEx counter will be....

· Registered
451 Posts
Kruzr is correct; must ship from a hub (at least with UPS; there is some question about whether FedEx will ship from Kinko's for example, and their web site does not specify - some forum members say they have shipped from same; you also cannot contact individual FedEx hubs locally because they don't post phone numbers and HQ will not release them- you have to go check). As for "no problem," depends on who is manning the counter when you go...

· Registered
191 Posts
Try UPS. My UPS in Indy specifically said they will not package a gun for me. I shipped a Ruger Mark II back for some work and had to box it up myself prior to going to UPS.

The neat thing was all I had to do was go into their hub, go to their computers, enter all the information myself, including that it was a firearm. The computer then printed a barcode sticker for me to put on the package. The checkout then scanned it, had me pay for it, and put a shipping label over it. I was in and out of there in less than 5 minutes. No questions or anything.

· Registered
757 Posts
IndianaDean said:
Try UPS. My UPS in Indy specifically said they will not package a gun for me. I shipped a Ruger Mark II back for some work and had to box it up myself prior to going to UPS.

The neat thing was all I had to do was go into their hub, go to their computers, enter all the information myself, including that it was a firearm. The computer then printed a barcode sticker for me to put on the package. The checkout then scanned it, had me pay for it, and put a shipping label over it. I was in and out of there in less than 5 minutes. No questions or anything.
1. - WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT ANYONE ELSE TO "PACKAGE"/PACK YOUR GUN??????

· Registered
461 Posts
D'sDad said:
Sending my Les Baer to a pistolsmith to have some mods done. Called a local Kinko's/FedEx this morning and was told that I need to bring the gun to the local FedEx office to have them wrap and inspect prior to shipping.:rolleyes: I had already begun to wrap it myself and held off once I heard this. Sounded somewhat odd and unable to find information on their website, would like to hear from someone who has recently shipped a pistol via FedEx.
D'sDad,

Shipped a pistol to a smith twice using FedEx...both without incident.

FedEx has specific requirements for handgun shipments:

1. Must ship from a FedEx Hub (No Kinko's).
2. No loaded handgun/no ammo with handgun in the package.
3. Must use Priority Overnight (bring your credit card or a lot of cash).
4. Must declare package as firearms as required by both FedEx and BATFE (but cannot place markings on exterior to give away the presence of firearms in the package).

The above requirements are covered in the FedEx TACs.

I bring it in boxed up and taped up, period. There is no need to bring in a copy of the receipients FFL.

By the way, if they question the legality of you as a non-FFL shipping a handgun back to a gunshop, let them know that BATFE allows non-FFLs to ship handguns to an FFL and that you must use commercial means (that's FedEx or UPS). This question is covered in the FAQ on the BATFE website:

B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

If they give me static, I simply point them to their TACs. If they still don't get it, I ask for their supervisor and point them to their TACs. It might also help if you print out and bring the section regarding handgun shipments with you.

The FedEx TAC can be found here:
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us_main.html

· Banned
1,870 Posts
AHancock said:
Well, actually, if you follow the thread link posted above, I did contact FedEx HQ with the response noted. I have also contacted UPS, and as you say, depends on the phase of the moon as to what response you get. Contacting Wilson did wonders to ease the way to shipping through my local FedEx - they contacted the HQ personally. Point is, there are Federal regulations and company poilcies that apply, and the shipper would do well to be familiar with them. That's not to say that the holiday temp you see at the FedEx counter will be....

Doc,

I was being a bit facetious in my response and wasn't directing it at you or anyone in particular. It just seems that these issues are always coming up and they get more and more strange every time they do. Surely Wilson (Combat?) ships and receives a lot of firearms and if they don't know what they are doing there, I am not sure I would want them working on any of my firearms. :confused: :scratch: :) :)

I only deal with FedEx myself and have never had any problems shipping firearms. Like others have mentioned, you must tender the shipment to a hub/service center, not the shipping counter at a local office supply store, not a FedEx/Kinko's, nor any other third party shipping provider. If you do not have a FedEx hub/service center near you, you can call in and request a special pickup where a driver will come to you and pick up your firearm shipment (this costs extra, but may be worth it if the closest hub/service center is 50-60 or more miles away as may be in some more rural areas). I don't deal with UPS because I have found their rates to be about 20-40% more than I pay through FedEx, but their policies should be relatively similar.

Here's a copy of FedEx's current policy regarding firearms:

FedEx Service Guide January 2, 2006 page 135 (http://www.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/Services_Rates_Shipping_Guide_2006_Interactive.pdf?link=4)

Firearms

FedEx Express can only accept and deliver firearms between areas served in the U.S. under the following conditions: (1) you agree to tender shipments of firearms to us only when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by local, state or federal regulations; (2) the shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable state law.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. or with a signature release. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx is required to notify the FedEx employee who accepts the package that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

You also agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

Please keep in mind, that these are FedEx's official policies, but not all of their employees may be fully versed on all of them. If you ever have any problems, all you have to do is ask them to refer to their current Service Guide and direct them to the above information.

· Registered
191 Posts
Kimber Dude said:
1. - WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT ANYONE ELSE TO "PACKAGE"/PACK YOUR GUN??????
I wouldn't. I was concerned that would be a rule of theirs. A couple of years ago I shipped one where they insisted on seeing it first to make sure it was disassembled. I did not bother to disassemble this last one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.