1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have to send a Springfield Armory Loaded frame back to Geneseo, IL. for repair. I'm glad i don't have to sent the entire pistol, but I'm still a little apprehensive as i have read about theft during shipping with all the major carriers. Any tips on this issue would be appreciated.
Thank you,
AZMK

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Since you are shipping the part of the gun with a serial number it is the same as shipping a complete gun. You are supposed to ship it next day air via any one of the carriers (not the postal service). While this is not a law, it is the policy of the carriers. If you choose to go around the rule and it does get lost, you will not be paid the insurance since you violated shipping rules of the carriers.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
BDavis hit the nail on the head, the frame is considered the weapon since it is serial #'d. It has to go out overnight by UPS or FedEx.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I don't mean to hijack your thread - but does anyone have any experience shipping a frame to Canada? I have my P.A.L. (possession acquisition license) and my restricted weapons permit, so I can legally own it. But to have one shipped legally I have to have it shipped to a dealer. The one firearms dealer in this area is not interested in receiving it. I have found one importer in Ontario that is willing to do it - for $350.00. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Do you have a favorite dealer you do business with?...If so, they can ship it USP for a fraction of the cost and the nice thing is they will recieve it back and sign for it. Then you can just go by and pick it up instead of having to be home or go to carriers main depot to pick it up.

i did that on one of my Springfields and the total cost to me was under $15. Totally safe and insured.

Just a thought...

Be safe. :cool:

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've shipped two pistols. Both went FedEx through Pack-mail. UPS and Fed-ex both said they couldn't do it. They don't even know their own regs. Both went overnight. Both were delivered back to my residence.

-Hershey

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I've shipped two pistols. Both went FedEx through Pack-mail. UPS and Fed-ex both said they couldn't do it. They don't even know their own regs. Both went overnight. Both were delivered back to my residence.

-Hershey
Nah, they know their own rules. Their rules stipulate that handguns are to be shipped from one of their hubs.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nah, they know their own rules. Their rules stipulate that handguns are to be shipped from one of their hubs.
You're joking right? THeir hubs told me they couldn't ship them either. I even quoted their policy and asked for a supervisor. I'm sure it depends on the individual hub and employee though. For what it's worth UPS was the hardest to deal with, although ironically enough, both were shipped back to me via UPS.

-Hershey

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Plus one on Insurance!

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
No, I wasn't joking, but the fact that UPS and FedEx employees wouldn't know their regulations doesn't surprise me, come-to-think of it. Couldn't tell from your original response whether you'd tried the hubs. So, you actually traveled to the hubs and were declined?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts