1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planning on shipping 800 rds of ammo and I’m wondering what, if anything that has to be done differently from shipping non hazardous items?
Will I need to fill out any additional forms?
Does UPS charge any additional fees for the hazardous material classification?
Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Why not just call them or check their website for information? That way you get the real story.

I've never shipped personally with me being the sender, but I've never known of any problems having ammo shipped to me from suppliers.
Rob S

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't beleive UPS has customer phone service over the weekend, and I wanted to get the lowdown...I've never been the shipper either, and was curious as too any special proceedures.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ammunition is regarded as hazardous materials/dangerous goods, IIRC. Give UPS HazMat a call at 1-800-554-9964. I know regular customer service is open from 0900-1500 on weekends, HazMat may be as well.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I didn't have to fill out any forms. The gal at Mailbox said to write ORMD somewhere on the box and off it went. No hassle at all. I've received small amounts, 5 boxes or less of RA45T, from dealers several times by UPS that did not have ORMD or anything else on the box. You shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As with everything, it depends

If it's loaded ammunition, it's considered a consumer commodity and can be shipped with the label ORM-D, for Other Regulated Material class D. The best instructions in a language I understand for shipping ammuntion is found at http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm.

Brass and bullets (projectiles) are not regulated. Powder, smokeless or black, as well as primers are considered HazMat and require several more hoops to jump through. If you haven't been trained in shipping HazMat I'd suggest finding someone who has been trained. Going through the packing classes and UN numbers can be confusing. Then the hassle of finding a shipper who will handle it can also bring on a bunch of headaches. Remember, when you offer for shipment a HazMat, you, the shipper is responsible till it gets to its' destination. Remember ValueJet?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Excellent. I never worked in the hazmat dept, and I apologize for things being unclear on the site - even I couldn't find it! :biglaugh: Anyways, thanks for clarifying, ORMD is it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.
I called UPS and the operator I spoke with told me that I could not ship ammo unless I had a specific hazmat contract with UPS to do so. She kept insisting that I cannot ship ammunition. I aksed to speak with the hazmat dept. directly, she refused telling me again, that I cannot ship it unless I have a specific contract to do so and daily pickup for that purpose. I insisted once more to speak with the hazmat dept, she said they probably will not take my call if I do not have an account with them. I demanded to be transfered....she finally put me through.
I was told, yes, I can ship ammo; and no it is not a problem to do so. Ammo must be under .50 caliber and the box weighing no more than 66lbs. It must ship ground. On the box must be clearly written "cartridges small arms" and under that a black rectangular box inside which is written "ORM-D". I must personally drop the box off at a UPS drop center. That's it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Strange.. last 3 times that I ordered 1K rounds of Wolf's, I was told by the shipper that 1K at a time was ok, if I wanted more it would have to be in the 1K or less format.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts