1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, How many people here use Wilson Shock Buffers in thier 1911A1? I used them for years on 3 different Colts and had no problems. When I first got my od loaded, I tryed using them but the Springfield tore them to hell in just a few rounds.The base of the guide rod seemed to be smaller than the one's on the Colt's I used to have and folded the edges of the buffer around the guide rod base and made the gun very unreliable.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've been using Wilson Shok-bufs in my springfield 1911's for years. I'd get thousands of 170 pf loads per shok buf. Then, last summer, they started tearing up right away. I went back to the gun shop where I buy them to tell them. The gun shop owner called her distributor to complain. The distributor comfirmed that Wilson had a bad lot of rubber, and defective shok bufs got out. The distributor sent replacement shok buf and all was well, as the replacements worked fine.

It's possible you obtained some of the defective shok bufs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
defective shok bufs

Agree, Wilson had a bad batch.

I have used them for years in S/A's with no problems.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Re: CP Bullets Shok Buffs

NATIONALMATCH said:
Try CP Bullets Nylon Shok Buffs. A lot better in construction in my opinion. :)
Dittos. CP is the way to go....

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
CP Bullets Shok Buff

Another issue is that Nylon will not attract moisture like some other materials. It holds up well to solvents. Plus CP Bullets are relatively rigid, but soft. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I don't think I got a bad batch. I've had these for a few years. Like you say they have been lasting a long time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Never have had a problem with CP buffs in my various Springfields even when pushing them over 1000 rounds with +P loads.

I know the Wilson argument... (if the buff holds up it isn't doing the job).

Bunk (imho).

The CP buff does a fine job and if you replace it at a reasonable interval, and inspect during routine cleaning, it is completely reliable in full size Springfields.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Source on CP?

I'm not familiar with CP.....can someone point me towards a source for them? I've been using Wilsons in my SA and have had no problems, but would like to try the CP. Thanks.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Brownells is your source for CP shok buffs.

In my use, they get replaced at around 750 rounds fired.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ok, guys please help me out here on this stupid question. what exactly is the shock buffer and where does it go?

since i do not own a 1911 its kinda hard. i do read a lot and have many 1911 source books ect. but im "flustered" lol..

i looked in my brownells, know what they look like ect... help me out guys...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I used Wilson buffs for years on my competition gun and needed some new ones last year. I bought a couple of packs and noticed that they were tearing up after only a few hunderd rounds so I bought some CP buffs from Brownells and am very happy with them. I'm back to changing buffs every thousand rounds, just like the good 'ol days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts