1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorta tactical-related.

Today I found a nice, pink leather coin purse / women's wallet outside the door of a busy, popular shop in a local strip mall. Chanel (or fake Chanel) brand.

No big deal, I find stuff all the time. However, when I turned it in the clearly relieved cashier said it was hers, & had her credit cards, ID etc. and asked where I found it. "outside the door" I said.

She then told me that she must have dropped it when she opened the shop THREE HOURS earlier! This would mean that, in that location, literally HUNDREDS of people must have walked past a clean, fat, Hot Pink wallet without noticing.

Sure, perhaps a few may have noticed and simply ignored it, but that doses' adequately explain hundreds of people's inaction.

Thus I suspect that Situational Awareness is nearly non-existent in the general population. Cripes.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Sorta tactical-related.

Today I found a nice, pink leather coin purse / women's wallet outside the door of a busy, popular shop in a local strip mall. Chanel (or fake Chanel) brand.

No big deal, I find stuff all the time. However, when I turned it in the clearly relieved cashier said it was hers, & had her credit cards, ID etc. and asked where I found it. "outside the door" I said.

She then told me that she must have dropped it when she opened the shop THREE HOURS earlier! This would mean that, in that location, literally HUNDREDS of people must have walked past a clean, fat, Hot Pink wallet without noticing.

Sure, perhaps a few may have noticed and simply ignored it, but that doses' adequately explain hundreds of people's inaction.

Thus I suspect that Situational Awareness is nearly non-existent in the general population. Cripes.
Situational awareness is nearly non-existent in the general population. Mugger lifestyle depends upon that fact.

·
Registered
24,915 Posts
People tend to be very self absorbed of late, I have noticed that. Generally speaking glued to their phones. Probably why I do not carry one. They tend to make great victims.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It feels odd when you walk around and so many people (other than teenagers now too) have their head down clicky clicky on the phone during every spare moment, everywhere they go.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Maybe with all of the different sexual orientations out there now, no one knew who was qualified to pick up a pink change purse?

Was the change purse owner at least hot?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
It feels odd when you walk around and so many people (other than teenagers now too) have their head down clicky clicky on the phone during every spare moment, everywhere they go.

This .

And it's quite dismaying .

George

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Butthead. Nope. Not "hot", ------------ at least not to me. I'm only 56. She could have voted for Eisenhower.

But hey, feel free to hit her up for a Ensure & Matlock date -------------------- I'm not judging! :love:

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Well, at least I probably wouldn't have to worry about seeing any damn piercings. :eek:

Wonder if her "pink coin purse" smells like Chanel too? Could be worse things to smell. :D

Hows that old ditty go though? "if it smells like cologne, leave it alone?" 💀

I think I'll pass...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
They are all on their phones.
============
This is my dashcam at the local Costco store.
The dude is standing in a parking space that I would like to park in.
He is totally unaware that a huge SUV is approaching him from behind.
I got flowmaster mufflers on that 330 cu. in. V8 so it's not exactly Tesla quiet.

·
Registered
24,915 Posts
You really have to wonder what all of these people will do when something really bad happens? Call 911 and hope for the best I guess, that will no doubt save them from everything.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
My assessment is based upon watching people at a traffic-light. This particular light has a green left arrow for ~3sec @2min. The light applies only to people in motor vehicles. And yet, instead of watch for the arrow to turn green, most drivers by far at that light are watching something on their cell' 'phones. So the people are in a motor vehicle, which costs a lot of money. The purpose of spending that money is to move quickly from one place to another. And yet, instead of watch attentively for the opportunity to move, they sit there ... sometimes having to wait while I have gone around them. No situational awareness.

·
Registered
801 Posts
My assessment is based upon watching people at a traffic-light. This particular light has a green left arrow for ~3sec @2min. The light applies only to people in motor vehicles. And yet, instead of watch for the arrow to turn green, most drivers by far at that light are watching something on their cell' 'phones. So the people are in a motor vehicle, which costs a lot of money. The purpose of spending that money is to move quickly from one place to another. And yet, instead of watch attentively for the opportunity to move, they sit there ... sometimes having to wait while I have gone around them. No situational awareness.
In the Sucker State (Illinois) Any Cop can give you at least a $120.00 Ticket for handling your phone. You are allowed 1 finger tap and you might have to hire a Lawyer to get away with it. I use a Blue Tooth Noise Canceling Headset, just incase it is a work related call.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well they spend a lot of money on their smart phone (that handheld device that puts most of human knowledge at their fingertips) too… you know, so they can take a selfie at the red light, add cat whiskers to their face and post to Facebook.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
In the Sucker State (Illinois) Any Cop can give you at least a $120.00 Ticket for handling your phone. You are allowed 1 finger tap and you might have to hire a Lawyer to get away with it. I use a Blue Tooth Noise Canceling Headset, just incase it is a work related call.
Here, many times I've seen drivers on a 65MPH road-way, which is often congested to walking speed, drive their 'phones right past a city police cruiser with no reaction from either driver. Now I've also seen drivers realize that they'd just passed a cruiser and, with a guilty start, "hide" the 'phone. Whether any of the scoff-laws pulled-over on the shoulder was due to distracted driving, IDK: hope so. When it's me, it's always been speeding.
\ -:

In about 13yrs of driving it daily, five times I've been tail-ended on that roadway. In four cases, being distracted ... usually by 'phone ... contributed. While despite my inclination to get where I'm going and soon* ... haven't tail-ended anybody else. Looking out the front window seems to make a difference.

*- Latest ticket has been nearly seven years ago: so I'm getting better.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Well they spend a lot of money on their smart phone (that handheld device that puts most of human knowledge at their fingertips) too… you know, so they can take a selfie at the red light, add cat whiskers to their face and post to Facebook.
@#8- o

Reactions: Colt Carson
1 - 20 of 36 Posts