1911Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
NONE of us is immune to momentary spans of situational UNawareness, but I agree that it's entirely too common. Someone smarter than me on such matters asserted, "There are no victims, only volunteers".
I think the REAL question is, however, "What constitutes 'Situational Awareness' ?" Things like detecting the unusual and out-of-place, as well as "Expect the unexpected" are parts of this, but are there no better defined criteria than this?

·
Registered
13,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There has been an increase (real, not anecdotal) in pedestrian vs vehicle accidents in recent years. I spoke to a buddy about this & he claimed it must be almost entirely due to drivers on cell phones. I disagreed, I maintain it's probably MORE attributable to the pedestrians use of phones.

My rationale being that the vast majority of drivers I see on the road are paying attention. A far LARGER percentage of people I see on sidewalks & corners are watching their phones.

Plus let's consider this too: It takes a very special type of foolishness to step off the curb without looking first. A pedestrian has a LOT more at risk than the motorist does. Right-of-way be damned.

Side note: Worst idiocy I've seen in this regard was a baby-carriage-pushing woman on the corner, looking at her phone. Waiting for the green..

SHE was safely on the sidewalk but the BABY CARRIAGE was off the curb, encroaching into the crosswalk! Every car turning right on the red had to swerve wide AROUND the damn kid! Freakin' unbelievable!

I was at the far west end of the intersection and blared my horn but she did not look up. Then a right-on-red car skidded hard & woke her dumbass out of her stupor. Yikes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ride a motorcycle and personally, I'd rather have a .08 bac driver coming at me than a 16 year old on her iphone. The offense of driving while on phone should carry the same penalties as DUI.

·
Registered
24,856 Posts
I was sitting at a red light when a woman talking on her phone rear ended me. I got out to survey the damage. My truck was not damaged at all, she was driving one of those almost cars and tore her front end up pretty good. I was ready to let her go on her way and deal with it however she cared to, as I was not concerned about my vehicle. She then tells me not to worry as she has just called 911. Cop shows up and gives her a ticket.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think one of the biggest issues in our country is entitlement. If I think I’m inconveniencing someone, it bothers me and I try to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. Entitled people have no such thought process.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I think one of the biggest issues in our country is entitlement. If I think I’m inconveniencing someone, it bothers me and I try to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. Entitled people have no such thought process.
An armed society is a polite society.
-R.A.H.

... much of our society was effectively disarmed for 100yrs. Too long. When we last moved, it was to a fairly recently annexed, small, semi-rural town. Horse arenas just across the yard of neighbors down the street. Grazing land and cattle grazing it, in easy walking distance. At that time, 1/3 - 1/2 the local drivers amazed me by offering a gap to pull out of parking lots. Not what I expected of the big city. Now it's about what I expected ... other than the waiting two cycles of a traffic light for the 1st car to finish a level of 'Angry Birds'. That I never expected.

Reactions: Colt Carson

·
Registered
866 Posts
The lack of situational awareness comes in many flavors. As already mentioned, the only thing most people are aware of is their phone. Anything else doesn't get a second thought (wallet, keys, etc.).

Some people are just plain oblivious to the world around them. They literally don't have a thought in their head beyond what the next two seconds will be for them. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law fall into this category.

Then there are people that are just plain dumb. They don't have any reasoning ability to understand that action A will result in action B that will likely result in action C. So those three teenagers in hoodies coming towards them aren't a potential problem.

·
Registered
418 Posts
============
This is my dashcam at the local Costco store.
The dude is standing in a parking space that I would like to park in.
He is totally unaware that a huge SUV is approaching him from behind.
I got flowmaster mufflers on that 330 cu. in. V8 so it's not exactly Tesla quiet.
lol, he was watching P___hub

·
Registered
453 Posts
I bet if it had been a richly colored chocolate brown or black Coach wallet the first person going by would probably have picked it right up. But pink? I can think of a couple of stereotypes that people might consider as the owner of a pink wallet such as a "tween" girl or some kind of LBGTQWERTY person. Simple fact is that many people might not care to pick up or even want to touch something that they thought of in that way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you ever do visit with those people who are always working their phones, you will find they have very little to offer in the way of communication except by phone...they really don't know how to verbalize face-to-face........

·
Registered
56 Posts
They are all on their phones.
Just like the guy at the baseball game Tuesday night who got smacked in the face by a flyball, he had a beer in one had and his phone in the other taking a call, smack right in the face. They removed him for medical treatment.

Reactions: citation650

·
Registered
13,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
kitchencouncil -------------- It was clearly a woman's wallet. Of a popular design & color too. Nothing "gay" to it.

Btw, my wife has a similar, teal one. But hey, if someone wouldn't pick up a wallet out of fear of Catching The Gay, that's wise. Because they might be teetering right on the cusp anyhow.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts