1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any intentions by Wilson to manufacture/market Shok Buffs to fit the .250 guide rods being used with flat wire springs? I use them on my aluminum framed pistols and the standard buff fits vey loosely. Like my women, I prefer them snug.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The .250 rod has a shoulder for the buff to fit over.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The .250 rod has a shoulder for the buff to fit over.
Hmmm. In my possession is a Wilson flat wire spring kit, the NH FW kit, and the EGW commander FW kit (which dropped right in) and those all have a .250 rod from the guide rod head to the muzzle end.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hmmmm in my possession are 6 P/N 751 Wilson flat wire kits with a shok-buff, spring and a guide rod with a shoulder....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmmm in my possession are 6 P/N 751 Wilson flat wire kits with a shok-buff, spring and a guide rod with a shoulder....
Out of all the .250 guide rods available out there by various manufacturers, the Wilson 751 GI is the only .250 guide rod with the "shoulder" to accommodate the current buffs designed for standard/larger round spring set-ups.

Seems that with the increasing popularity of flat wire recoil springs if Wilson doesn't want to lose sales on buffs they need to order some with a smaller diameter hole.

The flat spring set up as currently designed is not shok buff compatible.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Awe.......nevermind. Found a thread addressing my concerns.

This has been going on since 2012. In a flat wire application it appears the intention of Wilson is to abandon their customers who use the shok buffs in any application other than a GI set-up.

......... We don't have plans to build a new injection mold to make a special buff for a niche item.

My feeling is that since the flatwire spring won't lose significant length over time like a round wire spring the need for the buff is reduced. With that being said it is clear that our customers want the option so we are going to attempt to deliver that.
.........."that" meaning the current offering of the "shouldered" Wilson GI 751. "That" also means there are a lot of .250 guide rods that will not work with current Wilson buffs. Wouldn't it be so much easier (and profitable) to commit to this flat wire concept and make a buff with smaller hole? :confused:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Which guide rod do you have? The 751 GI?

I actually found some online by another company (Nic Taylor) that makes them for the 1911 .22 conversion. All I would need to do is drill them out to .25.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep......that's the same "shouldered" guide rod as Siouxfan's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Std SHOK-BUFF on .250" guide

I've been running a std buffer on a .250" guide in my personal 9mm compacts with no issue. Once the buffer is inside the gun and under spring tension it can't go anywhere........

I know someone is going to say, but WC doesn't recommend buffers in compacts..........but if your spring to ammo is right and you don't limp wrist the gun they run just fine

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been running a std buffer on a .250" guide in my personal 9mm compacts with no issue. Once the buffer is inside the gun and under spring tension it can't go anywhere........

I know someone is going to say, but WC doesn't recommend buffers in compacts..........but if your spring to ammo is right and you don't limp wrist the gun they run just fine
Thanks Bill.

There are a lot commanders out there that will slingshot and otherwise perform well with your shok buff installed. I like the quality/durability of your product. I have used them for years without issue.

I will give Nic Taylor's buffs a try and compare them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts