1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a Shok Buff was installed on the guide rod, I found that I could no longer "sling shot" the slide to chamber a round after it was locked open.I could depress the slide lock to chamber but could not rack it back.
Found out it was the buffer that limited the backward travel of the slide so it could not ride over the slide lock. YTook the buffer out and noe its OK.
Is this normal? The buffer is quite thick, are there thinner ones?Would it be a good decision to leave the buffer there and forget about "sling shot" and just use the slide lock?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use a wilson shok-buff in both of my Colts with no problem. Wilson shok-buffs are about 1/16" thick.

Yes, you are correct that the shok-buff is what is limiting your slide from operating properly. Would I advise you to remove the shok-buff? If you are using your gun for carry or self defense, definetly. If it is strictly a target pistol and operating the slide stop is alright with you, then I would leave them in.

------------------
100% NRA - Join today at www.mynra.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Wilson Shock Buff in my Wilson and it does not let me release the slide via the slingshot method. If I take out the Shock Buff, the slide slingshots fine.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If you try to do the slingshot via the pinching motion between your thumb and index finger, then you will probably have problems with the Wilson shok buffs as well. If you do a full overhand grip version of the drill, you should not have any problem - unless you have bomar or similar sights that will tear the hell out of your hands. Be firm, it takes some strength for the first few times and then it gets easier until you put a new buffer in.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
If you want to keep the shockbuff and slingshot,hesitate when the slide is all the way back to let the top round pop up fully.Usually the buff isn't thick enough to prevent a round from popping up,but the limited overtravel doesn't give the mag spring enough time to fully expand,hence the slight hesitation before you let go of the slide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts