1911Forum banner

Shok Buff?

6K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  pezzulli 
#1 ·
I've bee reading about Shok Buffs (Wilson Combat's in particular) and I was wondering who has one in their Pistol. Specifically, to the TRP Operator crowd... does it even work for our guns? is it beneficial at all?

#2 · (Edited)
I've bee reading about Shok Buffs (Wilson Combat's in particular) and I was wondering who has one in their Pistol. Specifically, to the TRP Operator crowd...does it even work for our guns? is it beneficial at all?
A shok buff will fit/work in your pistol. It stops the frame/slide from battering. I use one in my 1911s at the range. I do not use one in a pistol when it is carried or next to the bed for self-defense. Wilson Combat Rep has explained that the buffs minimally shorten the recoil operation. I don't mind this at the range but I do mind it if it might be my ass.;)

#3 ·
I don't use them at all, I've seen too many come apart inside guns jamming them up. Mostly because they probably aren't changing them out like they should.

The way I see it is that if JMB wanted Shok-buff's in his gun, he would have put them there.

I have a SA pistol with almost 45,000 rounds through it and have no slide and frame issues.

#4 ·
I run the CP brand. They are far more durable than the Wilson blue jobs...or at least the old Wilson blues...I have no idea if they have changed the formula.

The CPs hold up very well. Never had one come apart though I assume if you ran it long enough - well over 1K+ rounds, it might come apart. I generally replace mine at the 500 round mark and there is still plenty of life left in them.

Make sure your gun runs with 'em before you do any street carry.

#6 · (Edited)
I have no experiance with the WC shokbuffs of old. But I think that the "new" WC hold up rather well.

4K rounds on this buff with full power loads:

Test firearm>WC Classic, 900fps to 950 fps 200gr jacketed, 17lb recoil spring,
Got my moneies worth out of that one... :D

To the OP:

I currently do not run a buff in any of my springfields (to include my TRP Op).
Next time I go, I throw one in my operator and see how it runs for you.

#5 ·
While I have never had one come apart, or make a gun malfunction whilst firing.
I have had them fail to lock back a slide on empty, and made it so you couldn't pull the slide back all the way to charge the gun.

They are pretty much worthless to me.

#8 ·
As to the comment if Browning had wanted to use one he would have included it in the design. The type of material the buffs are made from didn't exist in his lifetime. Therefore there is no way to know whether or not he would have approved. I suppose if we took that kind of attitude with all things, we would all be driving Model "T"s. Black ones at that. We wouldn't be having this conversation on a computer either.

#11 ·
#13 ·
TRP Operator update:

Test load: 200gr SWC prescision (black coated)
5.0 gr WST
1.240" +-.002"
mixed range brass

I put in a WC shok buff in my operator. Ran 24 rounds (three eight round mags). Two mags from slidestop, one from slingshot (pistol slingshots from slidelock just fine).

One hang up per mag, mid mag, not first round from mag. Ammo has proven previously to be problem free, as in maybe one or two failure to feeds per one thousand rounds. So with out the buff, very reliable for target and match ammo.

This is my primary target and match load which has proven what I consider to be 100% for range and match ammo. It runs 100% in my Wilson classic and TRP Operator. Just to be clear, this is not my defense ammo.

LW McVay: Thanks for the offer! I'll throw it in my Classic and keep track of the round count. I'll get some pics at major mile stones.

PM sent.

#15 ·
Now that is not to say how it would run with ball or JFP ammo. It may or may not. I'll scrounge up some other kinds of ammo I have laying around and see what happens.

I do know the TRP in conjunction with a buff and SWCs (which have a tendency to be finicky anyhow) don't get along well.

#16 ·
Although this information is extremely useful, i also understand that Every 1911 is different. Even from one TRP to the next. so, i ordered a six pack of WC's Shok Buffs to see how they would do for my TRP Operator. i dont want to call this an experiment (i wouldnt want to experiment with anything i trust the protection of my family's or my life with) this will be only for extended range day use... if it works out. i'm all for a little more added protection for my investment during range day. i'll let y'all know how it works out!

#18 ·
i dont want to call this an experiment (i wouldnt want to experiment with anything i trust the protection of my family's or my life with) this will be only for extended range day use... if it works out. i'm all for a little more added protection for my investment during range day. i'll let y'all know how it works out!
No one I know recommends the buffs be used on the street. They are a range/practice item. When your range sessions run up the round count into the hundreds and you do this day in and day out, the buffs pay for themselves. But the buffs don't need to be there for street carry. Just one less thing to be troubled with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.