1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone using them? I know EB doesn't recommend them but does sell them through their parts department. Has anyone used them on their EB pistols?

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Do you have a problem that you are trying to fix with a Shok buff?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shok Buffs

No problem that I'm aware of. They come standard on Wilson's and I'm curious why Brown doesn't recommend their use but does sell the part. I have a Kobra that is nearing 1500 rounds without a problem. I'm getting ready to replace recoil spring and thought about adding a shok buff to the recoil equation for added protection. Was curious if other people use them on Brown pistols?

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I go with the KISS principle and leave out buffs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it runs, leave it alone. As well fitted as the Browns are supposed to be, you should wear out a couple barrels before you have frame problems. Maybe somewhere over 100,000 rounds.

AZ Husker has a Brown or two, you might PM him.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine are range pistols (hopefully), but

the carry gun is my pdw (personal defense weapon) and carried frequently. On average, I'm firing between 200 to 400 rounds per month, and I'm very conscientious about cleaning the weapons.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I don't like shock buffs. I like the idea of high mileage frame protection, but not at the cost of plastic/rubber/fiber inside my pistol. I am quite sure that if I can wear out a 1911, I'll be on the cover of a few magazines, know what I mean?!;)

Be well!

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Re: Mine are range pistols (hopefully), but

jrjordan said:
the carry gun is my pdw (personal defense weapon) and carried frequently. On average, I'm firing between 200 to 400 rounds per month, and I'm very conscientious about cleaning the weapons.
At that firing rate, you should get at least 20 years out of your pistol.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
A potential dangerous "gimmick" in my book.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I use them on all my 1911's including the Brown and have never had a problem. I change them after a couple of sessions at the range, just because.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
dubb-1 said:
I don't like shock buffs. I like the idea of high mileage frame protection, but not at the cost of plastic/rubber/fiber inside my pistol. I am quite sure that if I can wear out a 1911, I'll be on the cover of a few magazines, know what I mean?!;)

Be well!
Exactly. No, you may not ever experience a malfunction because of them, but you might. They are an unnecessary risk that solves an overblow and questionable "problem."

·
Registered
750 Posts
I use CP Tuff Buffs in all my 5" 1911s. I like the way the buff "softens" the recoil cycle slightly. When I shoot a gun without a buff, I can feel it. The CP buffs are very durable. I replace them fairly often, but as an experiment I went to around 1,300 rounds on one and it showed absolutely no sign of wear. I think the Wilson's are too soft- they don't have to be that soft to protect the frame. I can see why people don't like them, but I have never ha done fail, or even come close to failing, and for something like $1 a piece, it's cheap to keep a fresh one in there. For my CCW, the buff only has to last 25 rounds (all the ammo I carry).

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
harrydog said:
XTrooper,
Did you by any chance know Gary Rinker when you were with the NJ State Police?
No, sorry, I didn't. How long has he been in the outfit? I retired in '91 and served in Troop A (South Jersey).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I like the idea of high mileage frame protection, but not at the cost of plastic/rubber/fiber inside my pistol.
I agree. I would much rather sacrifice theoretical longevity than compromise reliability any day. Also, your range situation should match a carry situation so that you are confident of how the gun would perform in a BG situation.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If I remember correctly (and at my age frequently I can't) the HK USP Compact I used to own had a "plastic thingy" as part of the recoil spring/guide rod assembly. This piece appeared to serve the same purpose as a shok-buff. Never heard of anyone worrying about it. I guess if you have a plastic gun one more plastic part is not important :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
Slowhand:

I have found the same as you. The Wilson blue buffs just don't hold up. I use the clear ones that Brown sells and I have found they last twice as long as the Wilson's. I have never experienced a malfunction with any of my current 1911's that could be attributed to a shock buff. I guess we are lucky:D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Shike said:
Slowhand:

I have found the same as you. The Wilson blue buffs just don't hold up. I use the clear ones that Brown sells and I have found they last twice as long as the Wilson's. I have never experienced a malfunction with any of my current 1911's that could be attributed to a shock buff. I guess we are lucky:D
I use the Wilson shok-buffs in all my 1911's and I've never had one come close to tearing apart. I change them every 500 rounds or so, and they show only a very slight deformation after that many rounds. There may be some buffs that will last longer than a Wilson, but since I change them every 500 rounds, that's not an issue for me. I know some people think the Wilson's are too soft, but I've never had a problem with them and in fact, I think a slightly softer buffer is doing its intended job better than a hard one (and it's not like the Wilsons are actually soft - they're still relatively hard).
Like Slowhand said, in a self defense situation you're not going to be firing more than a couple of magazines, if that. If the buffs prove 100% reliable for at least 500 rounds time and time again (and I think they could easily go 1000 rounds in my guns), they're not going to disintegrate during a self defense encounter. But to each his own.

·
Premium Member
20,368 Posts
I don't use them and I've never beat a 1911 apart, but I'm curious about heat. We're over 100 degrees more than 100 days a year. Tires, hoses, and other rubber/plastics don't last as long here. Would a buff, enclosed in a steel carrier (1911), tend to disintegrate quicker?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts