1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a fan of buffers in personal defense handguns.
Any reason why I should NOT remove the buffer in my new CQB?
Thanks.
Charles

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, no. Some people believe that a shok Buff will adversly effect reliability. I have not found this to be a problem with either of my Wilson built Colts. If you're planning to shoot a great deal, I believe that I'd put the Shok Buff in for practice, and remove it for carry.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
Nra Golden Eagle

·
Registered
304 Posts
YES, THERE IS A REASON! I just discovered this myself today. I was showing my 1911 (actual Colt) to a gunsmith and he noticed some wear on the guide rails that according to him is very common. He said that it is due to a spring that is a little bit light causing the slide to hit the frame harder than it is designed to. The best fix is ShokBuff. He said that EVEY gun he builds (customizes) gets one. Anyway this is a long answer to a short question, but after some in depth conversation with him about it he sold me on them. So now I have one on my gun and 5 more in my kit ready for replacement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its your gun do what you want.

The shockbuff should be replaced every 1000 rounds and the recoil spring every 2000. I think that if you don't maintain the gun that either part becomes a liability.

Personally when I fire Speer Lawman through my Wilson or my Baer (no buff) it seems like the Baer was getting "beat up" more.

BTW I put a shockbuff in the Baer and have not had any failures at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been shooting a Baer 5" in IPSC Limited class for 8 years and have always used a Wilson shok-buff. Loads are 200gr. SWC @1000fps- a full power load. I've never had a failure that I could remotely blame on the shok-buff, only an occasional failure to feed due to mag related faults. After thousands of rounds I can see no wear around the frame/slide area. I replace the shok-buff every 1000 rds and the 18.5lb mainspring every 1500-2000 rds. I'm certainly sold on these!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts