1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody see Shootem up with Clive Owen? Saw it last night!
Great Googly Moogly! :biglaugh:

Gotta be the ultimate action shootem up flick of all time. Bullets flying from the intro to the last shot at the end of the movie. Lotsa .45 lead flying and even fictional Hammersoft .45's with thumb print identifyer so only the owner can shoot it.

Unbelievable action to the point of sillyness but I still liked it. For instance Clive is driving full speed into a head on colision with a van full of BG shooting at him and he shoots out the window and unbuckles his seat belt so that when the car and van colide he flys through the windshield into the van and shoots at least 8 BG's in the van! HILARIOUS!

I really liked this movie reminded me a lot of Sin City but with twice the gunfire!

The main BG seems to prefer a .50 Desert Eagle and what makes it so funny is Paul Giamatti is a pudgy short bespecticaled psycho!

Even political gun control satire is imbedded in the movie!

The plot is pretty thin but who cares! The Hero? is a crack shot who can make every fantastic shot in the history of moviedom! EVEN... with all his fingers broken! Hey I knew those carrots would come in handy!

I loved all the one liners in the flick!

"You know what I hate? A p*$$y with a gun!"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, it was a hoot. Laughed all the way through. My wife even thought it was one of the best entertainment movies we've seen in about a year. The extras on the DVD are worth watching too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
"Don't spoil it"?? LOL First it would need an actual plotline to be able to spoil it for others...

I loved it. Funny and over the top. They just don't make movies like this anymore.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Hated it, almost left the theater half-way through, regret spending any money watching it. Want to see a good movie with nice guns? Go rent Spartan starring Val Kilmer.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Absolutely the worst shoot'em up I've ever seen. Boring, predictable, cartoonish, poorly written, and generally childish in nature.

I love a good shooter flick, but that thing was absolutely horrible. Had I paid to see it in a theater I would have walked out about 20 minutes in. As it was, I Netflixed it and suffered through because nothing else was on television.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Weren't you turned off by the hypocritical gun-control message in the movie?

Glad you enjoyed it, but the movie had so many things wrong and/or unbelievable that I really didn't enjoy it much. Won't go into them here.

On one of the DVD extras, the director showed how he had animated all the action sequences on his computer. I thought that was pretty cool, and wish I could learn to do something like that.

One interesting note: before Clive Owen was really famous in the U.S., he played the driver in all of those neat BMW movies. Then in this movie, he makes an insulting comment about people who own BMW's. (Yet it appears BMW probably paid to have several of their cars in this movie.)

BMW movies here: http://www.chasingthefrog.com/BMW_Films/bmw_films.htm

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
It's not a documentary, it's a movie.

I thought it was funny as hell.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Glad I saw it on DVD instead of paying theatre prices.

I usually require relatively little from movies, just that they be mildly entertaining and reasonably well-acted, but this one was certainly among the worse "action yarns" I've seen; downright silly and outlandishly improbable without necessarily meaning to be so.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely the worst shoot'em up I've ever seen. Boring, predictable, cartoonish, poorly written, and generally childish in nature.
It is precisley why I loved this movie it was so silly and outlandish but how could yall be gun lovers and not like the shots the guys was taking! :biglaugh:

Like shooting the merry-g-round at a full run while the BG was shooting at the baby and imbeding all those carrots in people's brains in one smack!

Maybe my sense of humor is imature! But I laughed all the way through it!

What about when all his fingers were broken and he put one of those dang carrots through the trigger guard and started smacking the back of the gun and shooting all those bad BG one shot each! How could you NOT think that was funny! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That movie is the epitomy of the bottomless magazine.......:biglaugh: I must look into getting one of those guns.:rock:

Best regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Man, I thought it completely sucked. Having a wart removed with a dull butter knife would have been a better use of my time.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
the best scene in the movie was at the roof top where they shot up a neon sign and also where Clive Owen was caught in bed taken care of business with the lady.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Things I learned from Shoot em Up

That wet guns need to dry before being able to fire

A 9mm has enough force to spin a playground merry go round

Bad guys will always walk right into your traps

Desert Eagle .50's only hold 5+1. I say that because oddly enough, the lead BG never racked his slide before firing so I assume there is a round in the chamber. Or maybe it's 6 in the mag and no one ever tops them off?

Carrots make excellent improvised weapons

Sometimes you shouldn't wear your seatbelt

Gravity doesn't hurt unless you are a bad guy

There's more but since my brain partially melted while watching this film I doubt I can recollect everything.

(And yes, I know the movie is tongue in cheek)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Lighten up people...

I guess I have a twisted, slap-happy sense of humor like several others here.

I absolutely loved it! Obviously it was nothing close to real or anything meant to be real. Sure, I thought parts were stupid and at times just dumb. But the over all movie was cool.

It was meant to be over-the-top, the most craziest gun movie made. I laughed my butt off the whole way through.

Very entertaining for what it was meant to be! Hilarious!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
This film is one of the primary reasons Hollywood gives the anti-gun crowds so many false ideas about guns and people who like guns. I've no desire to see it, you'd have to pay me to watch.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hated it too. Watched half of it and couldn't stomach the rest. Beyond bad. I felt embarrased for Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Monica Belluci for being part of that train wreck.. Glad I Netflixed it instead of seeing it in the theatre.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts