1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a SA GI 1911A1 about 2 months ago. At the 10 yd. target, I was all over the place. I had the sights changed to Mil-Spec, which are easier to see (I am pushing 51 yrs. old). Now I am primarily in the SE quadrant of the target area about 8 inches from the bullseye. I know I flinch some at times, but still at 5 yards I expected more shots to be near the bullseye. Is there any common mistake I may be making that makes about 80% of my shots to hit in this area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you are right handed, this is a classic case of jerking the trigger. Focus upon trigger control and stare at the front sight. Make sure that the center of the pad of your finger is on the trigger. Also make sure that no part of your finger drags against the frame while shooting.

Your grip is especially important. Make sure your off hand is wrapped nicely around your primary hand. The index finger should be touching the bottom of the trigger guard. Both thumbs should be pointing forward on the same side (and should just lightly touch the frame). Push forward through your should directly down the line of the bore. At the same time, pull from the shoulder through your offhand directly through the axis of the bore. Push and pull as hard as possible until you start to shake, then back off until the shaking stops. The level of pressure is different for each pistol. By pushing and pulling, you get 1) a more stable platform, 2) better recoil management, and 3) more even pressure all around the grip.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Easiest way to tell if it's you or the pistol, is to have someone else shoot it.

If that's not practical, then buy some dummy rounds (Snap-Caps or Pachmayr dummys) and mix them into your live ammo when at the range. That'll tell you if you're jerking the trigger or flinching, or if the pistol may have accuracy issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right

I am going to do just that. I have a law enforcement friend at work who shoots .45 exclusively. He'll be a good test.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts