1911Forum banner

Shooters Lube

4741 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  roaniecowpony
Anyone in here use Shooters Lube? See alot of positive reviews, just curious if it really is that good?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,790 Posts
Reactions: Crash67

· Registered
4,757 Posts
Oh come on we can always use another lube thread. :sleep:

Crash we know you are new here and we are not picking on you. When it comes to which lube you will get 500 answers from 200 people. Bottom line you need to try for yourself. Climate is a big factor in choosing a lube. What works great in florida may not work in montanna.

· Registered
ATI 1911 FXH-45
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh come on we can always use another lube thread. :sleep:

Crash we know you are new here and we are not picking on you. When it comes to which lube you will get 500 answers from 200 people. Bottom line you need to try for yourself. Climate is a big factor in choosing a lube. What works great in florida may not work in montanna.
Not feeling picked on. Lol. If I would have looked further into the forum I would have found it. I myself always used hoppes but in my FB page I see shooter lube advertised a lot.

· Registered
256 Posts
Ballistol is all you need. Non toxic, perfect CLP.
Why do I know? I live in Miami, Florida, the most inhospitable weather in the whole country for guns, yet, none of my guns have rust and none have ever failed me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,790 Posts
Ballistol is all you need. Non toxic, perfect CLP.
Why do I know? I live in Miami, Florida, the most inhospitable weather in the whole country for guns, yet, none of my guns have rust and none have ever failed me.

No iron in this fire, but this is from the popular test done by an enthusiast. You can read about his test here. Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared

Here's the video of the test samples at 168 hours.

After seeing this test, I decided to move on from RemOil to Hornady One Shot, which is about the same viscosity and will be my bore clean and exterior wipe down from now on. For particular lube requirements like the slide, I'll use a synthetic motor oil, for break open shotgun hinges, I use a Super Lube TFE grease. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Crash67

· Registered
256 Posts
The corrosion test is very interesting. As a matter of fact I think I’ve seen it before.
But I can tell you from my own experience: From 22 years of living in a tropical rainforest, carrying every day. Leaving guns inside the car in 140 degree weather. Shooting guns in the rain... and more importantly... since it’s hot and humid 10 months out of the year in Miami: I sweat like a wild pig and my guns get the brunt of it.
Imagine humidity, moisture, rain and sweat and yet NO RUST. I think Ballistol must be doing something right.
Besides even Hickok45 is a huge fan of Ballistol. Although I must say I was using the product before him. Hehehehe

· Registered
7,662 Posts
I use BALLISTOL and nothing else for cleaning new old guns and for storage.
After the range I clean everything with BALLISTOL and put away. It's good also for wood and leather and is not toxic.
I've done it for decades and never had any issue.

Reactions: Slohunter

· Registered
2,790 Posts
Guys, as the man testing the products stated, if you have a product you've used and are satisfied, there's no reason to change. I have shotguns that are 100 years old and have made it this far without the benefit of these modern products. Some traditional doublegun enthusiasts still use pure mineral oil and petroleum jelly exclusively.

But, nearly all of what we hear and know of gun oils is anecdotal and unquantified in any manner that we can use to objectively compare products. So, to me, this test provides objective comparative data, at least for corrosion protection. As Wernher Von Braun was quoted: “One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions.”

I decided to change from RemOil, which showed one of the lowest performances, to Hornady One Shot, which showed one of the best performances, because I want more margin in rust protection and I seem go thru a can of oil a year, so I need to buy every so often. Also, RemOil and Hornady One Shot seem to have similar properties that make for a cleaning fluid. With my double shotguns, I may go on a hunt and it could be days before the gun is wiped down. Although in wet conditions I tend to have more diligence in tending to my guns, in dry conditions I have tended to let them go days and up to a week before they get a wipe down. Like most products I buy, I like to have the best for my particular uses, with consideration for some personal nuances. This particular test helped me in choosing a better bore and exterior wipe down product. For lubrication of specific gun types, I use other products.

The referenced test is just another data point to add to our knowledge.

· Registered
7,850 Posts
The Grant Cunningham article comes up in almost every lube thread- it's a bit long but provides great info and recommendations.

As an aside, I switched years ago based on that article because I was having horrible skin reactions to other gun and automotive oils. The food safe machinery oil mentioned has turned out to be the best oil I have used in 30 years, for me and the guns. (and no reaction or stained clothing)

a snippet from that article:
What would I consider a “best in class” oil? Generally, it would be one made for lubricating food processing machinery, like Lubriplate’s FMO-AW oil (specifically the 350-AW weight.) Food grade lubricants have to prevent wear in sometimes corrosive environments and they have to do so even after being wiped off of the surface they’re protecting (which is actually part of the requirement for food contact ratings!) They have good boundary protection and very high corrosion resistance especially in the presence of acids, alkalis, and moisture. They’re darned near tailor-made for our use!
Available here:

· Premium Member
12,097 Posts
An observation about observed protection -

I believe that an in depth study of the subject should include the practices of the gun owner/maintainer. That is how often is the gun used, how often cleaned/lubed/oiled regardless of use, climate conditions of the guns location, etc. Without those and possibly other factors included the conclusion will be skewed by incomplete data.

· Registered
2,790 Posts
Just my thoughts on ATF... ATF was originally whale oil. People are still ogling and aweing over whale oil. It enjoyed a great reputation for its properties. Some of the old concoctions that use ATF as the base may have originally intended ATF whale oil. Today's modern ATF is great stuff ... if you need a hydraulic oil that also has good lubricating qualities. But if you are looking for just great lubricating qualities and don't need the hydraulic fluid performance, there are many modern lubrication oils that are better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.