1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned fron the indoor range for a little trigger time during my lunch break. Colt XSE Gvmt. model, all stock out of the box, about 300-400 rounds through it. Since day one I thought it was me flinching and shooting high about 5 inches and about 4 or 5 inches to the right at 17 yards. a friend I met there with a lot of trigger time on his .45 confirmed that it was the gun, not me. I can see that the rear sight needs to go to the left a hair bit, but how can I adjust for the height difference? BTW, one of my white dots in the rear sight came out too. Could this be a barrel bushing problem or is it normal for this kind of "inaccuracy" out of a stock .45?

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
Easy- just aim low and to the left.

Seriously, most 1911s out of the box are supposed to group within an inch or two of center. That can easily be adjusted to zero by drifting the sight one way or another. But your problem sounds like a poorly fitted and/or defective barrel or bushing. Look at the firing pin strikes on your spent cases. Are they reasonably on-center?

The sight dots always fall out on new Colts. Just get a fine brush and some white touch-up enamel.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Since you're talking about an XSE, the BEST althernative would be a Sight Change... Swapping to Hienne's, or Novak's, or whatever, and having the sights regulated in the process.

As you noted, you can drift the rear, and adjusting for height can be as simple as changing brands of ammo, or shaving the rear blade, although putting a taller front sight is the correct method for this.

Bottom line, I would change the sights, and my preference would be any of the "Combat" no snag sights available, over the standard blade arrangement of the XSE.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Also... FWIW, DSK's reply is pretty close...

After drifting windage to get everything in line, you might consider an alternative sight picture... If you are lining everything up, anad parking the post under your point of aim, and still hitting high, then, you need to adjust, but if you're accustomed to "covering" the point of impact with the post, and it's hitting high, then the change may be worthwile.

Still, I would refer to my previous post... Change the sights, and get some good, High Visability Snag Free combat sights on it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still, I would refer to my previous post... Change the sights, and get some good, High Visability Snag Free combat sights on it.[/B][/QUOTE]

That is something that I wanted to do, but I keep thinking about the orinality of Colts ten years from now. Even though I'm not planning on ever selling it, I'm thinking one day my son might be thinking "Wish Dad never ruined this original Colt." What I wanted to do was have the front dovetailed and a Bomar adjustable site installed on the rear, but so far the prices have been almost $300 to have it done. Seems high for a non competetive shooter to spend this kind of money.

[This message has been edited by ScottsGT (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Scott

Please confirm for us the distance to your target? Was this distance 17 feet, or 17 yards?

The reason I ask is, if the distance is in feet, then you are correct, you have a problem. If the distance is in yards, then your sights are perfect for elevation.

The reason I mention this is Colt typicaly sets their sights up for Bullseye Competition, which is also the Mil-Spec for 1911 sights. In other words the sights are set for a 50 yard zero, which means bullet impact will be 6 inches high at 25 yards. I suggest you read your owners manual for the recomended sight picture at longer distances. At longer distances, like 25 yds, or 17 yds in your case, you should do what Bullseye shooters call "Float the Ball," which means you should put the bottom of the black bull are on top of your front sight.

For close shooting, out to 30 feet, putting the top of the front sight right where you want the bullet to impact works just fine. Beyond this the bullet will start to climb up its arc and you will need to know how to compensate. Replacing the sights with adjustables will allow you to adjust the impact point at this distance, but you will need to readjust for other distances.

So I recommend drifting your sight to correct your windage issue, and then take the money you would have to spend on new sights and spend it on ammo, or training. Practice will do you more good than new sights.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Str8_Shot:
Scott

Please confirm for us the distance to your target? Was this distance 17 feet, or 17 yards?

Yes, it was 17 yards. I think you hit the nail on the head with your elevation explanation. And looking at the rear site closer, it appears to be a little far to the right. so moving it left should do the trick.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by dsk:
Easy- just aim low and to the left.

Seriously, most 1911s out of the box are supposed to group within an inch or two of center. That can easily be adjusted to zero by drifting the sight one way or another. But your problem sounds like a poorly fitted and/or defective barrel or bushing. Look at the firing pin strikes on your spent cases. Are they reasonably on-center?

I did check my spent cases last night and they are off center. Not by much, but not in center. What would cause this? and what would it take to correct?

·
Registered
843 Posts
A slightly off center firing pin strike is not unusual. It isn't a problem as long as it's not gross and the gun goes boom everytime you pull the trigger. As to the cause, well, I'm not a qualified pistolsmith. Heck, I don't even play one on TV, but I imagine it's determined primarily by the fit of the barrel lugs on the bottom of the barrel. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who can shed more light on this (and set me straight!).
-TR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts