1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
Start with a search of the forum. There have been more than a few threads on the topic of .45 Super conversions, load data, etc. There's a lot of stuff here.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Shooting 45 super in a Colt..........what's involved!
I own a Springfield 1911A1 that was factory built for 45 Super. I haven't fired 45 Super in it for probably 4 years now ... and it's been heavily customized by John Harrison for shooting 45 ACP. However the best I can remember the factory installed a 22 pound recoil spring, oversized firing pin (to prevent primer puncture), super-duty extractor, tuned ejector and wrap-around rubber grips (to help keep the damn thing from jumping out of your hands).

For converting a standard Colt to 45 Super, I would recommend contacting Clark Custom. However ... I don't recommend doing it. 45 Super is very hard on the gun and shooter. The thrill of firing 200 grain bullet at 1370 fps wore away very quickly so it was soon turned over to John for conversion to 45 ACP. If I can find a photo of it, I'll post it later.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Below is a photo of the 45 Super mentioned earlier. I hope this post doesn't get booted by the forum administrator for not being a Colt product ... but it's a response to a Colt question :confused:

Anyway ... John Harrison installed the Nowlin fully-supported/compensated barrel, EGW ignition system (4 lb trigger), front strap checkering, don't remember whose thumb safety and grip safety, Bo-Mar sights, fitted/blended S&A magwell, Cera-Kote slide/bead blasted stainless frame and other stuff.

The compensated barrel went a long ways toward taming the violent recoil and muzzle-flip generated by 45 Super ammunition. However, I eventually had John retune it for 45 ACP. It's a 3/4" to 1" gun at 25 yards.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Short answer....machine frame for ramped/fully-supported barrel, stronger recoil spring, stronger firing pin spring....the frame will be limited to ramped barrels forever more....

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had a Springfield Mil-Spec that I had set up for the Triton 450 SMC, ie. Short Magnum Cartridge. They recommended a stronger recoil spring for the conversion and nothing more. 1911 Gov't. 22, 23, 24, 26 # spring. 1911 Cmdr. 22,24,26 # spring. I also changed the firing pin spring and add a shock-buf to the guide rod. Recoil was not that bad and the pistol functioned just fine with the 450 SMC loads. You could still fire 45 ACP hardball just by changing the loads in the magazine. The Springer is long gone and has been replaced with a Colt XSE LWT Commander, but I've still got some of the ammo left. I won't use it in my Colt.

Here's the info off of the box:
165 gr JHP 1450 fps/770 ft/lbs
230 gr JHP 1150 fps/675 ft/lbs

·
Banned
758 Posts
My oppologies to anyone I offend here, but "45 super" packages in my opinion are a joke. I've researched the so-called "super" cases and the differences are in an allready bolsterted erea of the case that makes the few extra thousandths meaningless, and most of the mods done to the gun are just gunsmith extras to get more of your money.

The main thing the gun needs is a heavier recoil spring and shock buff, maybe a one piece guide rod.

Personaly I think it's rediculas to load a .45 acp to "super", but I've seen people load .38 "super" beyond magnum levels to the point where the brass cases come out of the guns as shredded wheat.

To each his own I guess.:barf:

P.S. I think the only gun you could shoot .45 super in is a 1911, Glocks won't even support +P ammo in their .45s!

·
Registered
644 Posts
P.S. I think the only gun you could shoot .45 super in is a 1911, Glocks won't even support +P ammo in their .45s!
If there is such thing as an ideal gun for 45 Super it's the HK USP. They're literally upgradable to 45 Super standards by simply changing the recoil spring.

My short but intense experience shooting 45 Super in 1911's says no ... there is work to do before they're safe and reliable. You first must slow down the slide velocity with a heavy recoil spring and a heavy mainspring or the gun will batter itself to pieces (I eventually chose the compensated barrel route over heavy springs for controlling slide velocity). You must also install a super-duty extractor because the casing expands so tightly against the inside of the barrel throat upon discharge it will quickly break most standard extractors. Keep in mind 45 Super operates at roughly 2X the pressure of 45 ACP. The oversized firing pin with heavy spring is also good insurance against primer blow-out due to extreme cartridge pressures and hammer strike due to the extra heavy mainspring. The 45 Super ejector is tuned to start the spent casing moving toward the ejection port earlier in the cycle to get it clear of the slide due to its higher velocity ... otherwise you'll get stovepipe jams and/or severly damaged casings.

But I agree with you in principle ... it's not worth the expense and effort. If you want a hand-cannon ... go buy a 500 S&W. If you want a sweet shooting, accurate, reliable auto pistol buy a 1911 in 45 ACP.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I followed the rise of that round back when it was new and exciting, intrepid reloaders like Grennell were pushing .45 Super loads in the neighborhood of 44,000cup, and there was a fo'sho'nuff reason to be using ramped barrels...this was shortly after the .451 D-mag Scoremaster went away.....it's gotten a lot more advanced since Dean Grennell and Ace Hindman were making the guns famous.....personally, I just take my plain vanilla early Redhawk out anytime I want to impress someone with 180grXTP's at 1900fps....now THAT'S a safe, low pressure and impressive load, and out of a bone-stock gun, at that, and it will shoot that load forever. I recommend buying the seperate gun for the same money.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My desire for shooting super hot pistol loads died right after I bought my T/C Encore .308

1 - 12 of 12 Posts