1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it's not a 1911, but rather a Thompson Contender with a Super 14 .223 barrel. The gun is a friend's that he doesn't use, so I am holding onto it. This was my 1st time shooting this gun, and pretty much my 1st time shooting a "handgun" at that distance other than the occasional "bet you can't hit that" with the buddies. All I can say is that I am very impressed with how well the gun shoots. It has a "Thompson center" labeled dot sight an a very crisp trigger. I did all of my shooting @ 50yds from a sandbag front rest with a 2 hand hold in the rear. I went through 2 boxes of ammo. one was a box of American eagle 55gr boat tail, and the other was Winchester Varmint X 55gr polymer tip. The American Eagle was decent with the best being about 5/8" for 3shots. The Varmint X made me look like a good shooter as I was able to shoot a 3 shot group close to 1/4" ctc(I need a new battery for the caliper to get an exact measurment). I was wanting to do some shooting at 100yds, but with this dang Florida weather it was getting too warm to stay much longer. This coming weekend I plan to do some more shooting with it out to about 200yds, and also plan to order a threaded 15" 6x45mm Shilen match barrel from Match Grade Machine for my Christmas gift to myself. Thinking about a 2x-6x leupold aswell.

Best group of the day. Winchester Varmint X 223 55gr.

http://postimage.org/app.php

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Contenders are just small rifles lol. Good for hunting as well
It shoots like a laser for sure. I would like to do some hunting with it, but I believe that I would start with the 22lr barrel and go after squirrels to build confidence, and then maybe try taking a deer with the 223 loaded with the right ammo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts