1911Forum banner

Shooting in California, 10 dead

4595 Views 142 Replies 57 Participants Last post by  nick11
10 people have been killed in a Lunar New Year shooting near LA : NPR

Watching "Face the Nation" this morning and they lead off the program with this story. The reporter was more interested on informing viewers, "We don't know what type of a weapon was used". Like that mattered to the victims. He then went on to say the shooter wasn't in custody and they didn't know how they had acquired the weapon. He explained they needed to know where he got the weapon so they could determine if this was a "Hate Crime".

He informed the viewers that it was "unlikely" this was a deranged individual, "because they usually commit suicide after the shooting". Thank you, Mr. Expert. Today's major media can't just report the news without adding their own opinions and agendas. :mad:

Grumpy
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

· Registered
14,686 Posts
Reactions: Crab Boy

· Registered
9,785 Posts
I've heard that too, several times China has called for US gun control. As to why, I recall a statement that an Axis gentleman allegedly made in WWII that one should not invade the US because there were too many privately owned guns. something about a rifle behind every blade of grass.
I'm of the opinion that the CCP doesn't need to invade anyone, because they can merely get politicians around the world to copy their policies (like lockdowns, social credit [i.e., digital identity'] etc.). But gun control would be a big help to anyone who did...
No reason to single out the CCP tho, pretty much every other country hates the US 2nd amendment because it makes their own governments look bad, their people look to us and say "how come they are free to do X and we aren't?" I mean pretty much every other nation has little or no true 'gun rights' and so we make them all look bad to their own people. Look at Canada.
When engineered pneumonia sets in, guns don't matter, it's like walking over fish out of their bowl. O crap, I just described DARPA candidate SARS.

US like "we got guns, lots of them, we shoot you dead when you come"
CCP like "we engineered new SARS, we send it to you from here and watch you keel over".

· Registered
14,686 Posts
I've heard that too, several times China has called for US gun control. As to why, I recall a statement that an Axis gentleman allegedly made in WWII that one should not invade the US because there were too many privately owned guns. something about a rifle behind every blade of grass.
….
Indeed so. That was Japan‘s Admiral (and overall Pacific Commander) Isoroku Yamamoto…educated in the U.S. (Harvard) but also architect of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Killed when his aircraft on stealth flight was intercepted and shot down.

Another +1911 on everything else in your comments.

· Premium Member
10,811 Posts
I didn’t know there were any “farm workers” in Half Moon Bay…mostly an enclave for the super-wealthy, with off-the-charts real estate costs.
Probably a marijuana farm. My understanding is the Chinese are buying up farm land and growing marijuana. Local news said it was a marijuana farm, internet news is calling it a mushroom farm.

BTW... this is the second mass killing by a Chinese National at a US Marijuana farm. There was one in Nov 2022 four Chinese nationals killed execution style by another Chinese national.

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
So much for Gov Gruesome's anti-gun Utopia being a safe haven for people everywhere. You can't stop evil with legislation... only a bullet will do. But you can't tell them that.

Reactions: Ringolevio

· Administrator
80,918 Posts
Indeed so. That was Japan‘s Admiral (and overall Pacific Commander) Isoroku Yamamoto…educated in the U.S. (Harvard) but also architect of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Killed when his aircraft on stealth flight was intercepted and shot down.
Actually there's no hard evidence that he ever actually made that "blade of grass" comment, and it's likely just another false quote attributed to a famous figure. Same with his alleged "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant" comment after Pearl Harbor. Neither have been proven to have been uttered by Yamamoto. However given what historians know of the man they may have reflected his opinions on the matter. He knew that a protracted war with the US would be suicidal for Japan, but he couldn't stop it so he did what he could to buy the nation some time.

· Registered
434 Posts
Actually there's no hard evidence that he ever actually made that "blade of grass" comment, and it's likely just another false quote attributed to a famous figure. Same with his alleged "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant" comment after Pearl Harbor. Neither have been proven to have been uttered by Yamamoto. However given what historians know of the man they may have reflected his opinions on the matter. He knew that a protracted war with the US would be suicidal for Japan, but he couldn't stop it so he did what he could to buy the nation some time.
Correct, Yamamota did not say the blade of grass statement. He was shot down by P-38s sent to intercept his A/C as the message regarding his flight was intercepted and decoded as the US had broken the Japanese code several years before.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Correct, Yamamota did not say the blade of grass statement. He was shot down by P-38s sent to intercept his A/C as the message regarding his flight was intercepted and decoded as the US had broken the Japanese code several years before.
To be fair I think I said it was alleged attributed or supposed, not said for sure. it is probably as you say apocryphal like the 'sleeping giant' statement, but it certainly reflected the situation of widespread gun ownership in the US. The rifles the alleged quote was referring to were not issued army rifles in the hands of deployed troops, but the privately owned rifles that hung over the fireplaces and in the gun cabinets of American civilians at home; workers, farmers, mechanics, doctors, lawyers, housewives, and sundry other citizens on the home front.

In contrast, when Russia recently invaded Ukraine, it did so knowing that Ukrainian policy imposed strict gun controls and the civilian population was largely disarmed. As a result the world was treated to videos of desperate senior citizens, women, and children being handed rifles by the Ukrainian government and instructed on their use in rushed, last minute attempts to make up for a lifetime of gun control – when it was too late.

Similarly, compare Australia with America. Australia, which some years ago imposed sweeping gun confiscation, had during the height of covid hysteria, soldiers in the streets assaulting civilians and imposing authoritarian edicts, and even imprisoned innocent people in camps without trial. America resisted the Australian-style gun confiscation proposed by politicians such as Hillary and Obama, and so as bad as government overreach during covid authoritarianism was here, it never rose to that level. There were some steps our government was still afraid to take.

No doubt some wanted to act thusly; the infamous Rasmussen poll showing nearly 60 percent of Democrats favored putting science- and freedom-minded Americans under house arrest by force for not obeying irrational edicts, or the Salt Lake City newspaper editorial calling for using the national guard against Americans who refused to cower at home, make this clear. The CDC even had a plan to detain people forcibly, called the ‘shielding approach’ ( High-risk individuals would be relocated to safe or “green zones” established at the household, neighborhood, camp/sector, or community level depending on the context and setting. They would have minimal contact with family members and other low-risk residents.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/global-covid-19/shielding-approach-humanitarian.htm l
"One entry point is used for exchange of food, supplies, etc. A meeting area is used for residents and visitors to interact while practicing physical distancing (2 meters). No movement into or outside the green zone."
the CDC adds that “Isolation/separation from family members, loss of freedom and personal interactions may require additional psychosocial support structures/systems.”) but it was never imposed. we can thank the founders' 2nd amendment for that.

The Japanese admiral's quote may be a historical myth, but the value or arms as deterrent it supposedly referenced is proved daily :)

· Registered
5,827 Posts
I didn’t know there were any “farm workers” in Half Moon Bay…mostly an enclave for the super-wealthy, with off-the-charts real estate costs.
That would be Hillsborough and Los Altos Hills, where many estates are valued upward to 15 million.

In Half Moon Bay, especially by Highway 1 near the coast, there are plenty of modest and old homes owned by working class people, retirees who couldn't afford a house in SF.

· Registered
14,686 Posts
That would be Hillsborough and Los Altos Hills, where many estates are valued upward to 15 million.

In Half Moon Bay, especially by Highway 1 near the coast, there are plenty of modest and old homes owned by working class people, retirees who couldn't afford a house in SF.
Ah, this makes sense and matches my distant recollections. Thank you!!

· Registered
14,686 Posts
With a smile, you guys are taking away what was a good story.

Reactions: Ringolevio

· Registered
14,686 Posts
Well, not to be morbid or start something has anyone heard what pistol the perp. used?
Trusting Joe Biden, it probably was a "100 clip" magazine.

Roll eyes, and "let's go Brandon".

Reactions: AZBrad

· Registered
111 Posts
The gun used in Monterey Park was a Cobray M11 9mm. The 72-year-old shooter lost it in Alhambra when a brave soul wrestled it away from him. The guy who took the gun away had not heard of the Monterey Park shooting until after that struggle, so he let the guy escape. The shooter used a Norinco Tokarev to kill himself when he was hemmed in by the police in Torrance. They were able to identify the shooter as he bought the gun legally. If he bought it in California, he bought it like 30 years ago - pre–California Assault gun ban. So, it may have been a registered Assault weapon.

The other old Asian shooter was a worker in a mushroom farm. He was noted for being violent, trying to suffocate someone with a pillow in 2013, I think. He was prohibited from buying firearms for a short time, but that ban on him lapsed and for some reason he never got tried for that criminal act. (He was mad over being fired from a restaurant job.)

Year of the Rabbit is starting out bad for my fellow Asian Americans.

101 - 120 of 143 Posts