1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas what can cause me to shoot slightly left? It's not much. maybe few inches at 15 and 25 yards.

Pistol is a new Nighthawk 1911 GRP.

I'm sure it's me, and not the gun....

This is slow fire, off hand. It could be sights, but I doubt it. looks like it was zeroed right according to target paper from NH. I shot a Taurus 1911 before and I had issues shooting left with it too. Might be a 1911 thing with me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Squeezing your thumb, or you are using too much trigger finger. Maybe you are past the first joint of your finger.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Squeezing your thumb, or you are using too much trigger finger. Maybe you are past the first joint of your finger.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Too much trigger finger would cause me to shoot right. Remember I'm a lefty.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Every shooter may perceive "iron" sights slightly different than another shooter. Whereas your groups are slightly left, another shooter may be dead on. It would be best to first check the zero of the gun at 15-20 yards by using the same ammo you always use, rest the gun on sandbags, and shoot slow-fire to see where the POA vs. the POI shows on your targets. If it is still shooting slightly left, it is most likely the gun is not sighted for your perception of the sights. If you have an adjustable rear sight, you may need to move the rear sight to the "right," or drift the front sight to the "left" until the gun shooting off sandbags is shooting the proper POA vs. POI.

There are many variables that may affect where the bullet impacts in a given pistol......the bullet weight and shape, the power of the loaded ammo, the shooters grip, how the shooter places their trigger finger on the trigger pad, how the gun locks up each time, etc.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Confirm those groups with a slow, rested group. If they look the same or similar, adjust the sights. If they don't match up, investigate further... the rested group costs you only a couple minutes and a mag's worth of ammo.

This image is for righties, so go to the opposite side for lefty.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Confirm those groups with a slow, rested group. If they look the same or similar, adjust the sights. If they don't match up, investigate further... the rested group costs you only a couple minutes and a mag's worth of ammo.

This image is for righties, so go to the opposite side for lefty.

View attachment 598799
I'll have to check and see what's up. Maybe I need a long trigger because I have big hands and I'm just getting too much finger in there.

I would think too much finger would cause me to shoot right though because I'd be pushing the gun right.

I'll check next time I shoot.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Try a slow careful squeeze of the trigger keeping your sights on target. Let the trigger break surprise you. If your shots then hit center its not the sights, its you. Most people push or pull the gun out of alignment when pressing the trigger. Those that work on it can fix this issue. Having the correct length trigger can make this process much easier.

Thumbing could be your issue. Try shooting the gun with a loose support hand and flag your left thumb straight up into the air (called flagging the thumb.) This will prevent you from pushing the gun left with your thumb when you squeeze the trigger and is only for diagnosing the problem. If you do find it is the thumb pushing the gun then work on relaxing the thumb and return to a strong support hand grip.

·
Premium Member
15,217 Posts
There's a great little laser that can really help with this - can't think of the name but it allows you to practice at home or anywhere. Its a laser that fits in the chamber and only activates when the firing pin hits it, just like a live round. It then projects a quick beam where the barrel was pointed when 'fired'. You just put a little spot on a wall and 'shoot' at it until you can keep the dot on the target. This trains you with instant feedback.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I would think too much finger would cause me to shoot right though because I'd be pushing the gun right.
Actually you can go either direction with trigger finger- too much finger past the pad and you "pull" the shot- too little can "push" the shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts