1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, before anyone has a coronary, it's with .177 lead pellet.

I was using paper targets but for the past two weeks have been having riotous fun with a Gamo Pellet Rocker Trap thingy.

The big paddle in the middle is 1 inch. The two outer targets are about a nickel's worth in diameter, the two inside targets are about half a dime. It's a challenging yet achievable target at 8 yards. At that distance the little target is like the black on an NRA SR-1 at 50 yards. The big ones are like the black on an a B-16 at 25 yards.

When you hit a target they swing up and lock. When all four are up shoot the big paddle in the middle, and all targets drop down.

It's a ton of fun!

Yeah, the things I do to stay sharp when I can't burn through ammo every weekend...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
HaHa that does look like fun, good job. My wife would ..... well I shutter to think.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
twist my arm?

OK, before anyone has a coronary, it's with .177 lead pellet.

I was using paper targets but for the past two weeks have been having riotous fun with a Gamo Pellet Rocker Trap thingy.

The big paddle in the middle is 1 inch. The two outer targets are about a nickel's worth in diameter, the two inside targets are about half a dime. It's a challenging yet achievable target at 8 yards. At that distance the little target is like the black on an NRA SR-1 at 50 yards. The big ones are like the black on an a B-16 at 25 yards.

When you hit a target they swing up and lock. When all four are up shoot the big paddle in the middle, and all targets drop down.

It's a ton of fun!

Yeah, the things I do to stay sharp when I can't burn through ammo every weekend...
Owww owww ...uncle! Sounds a great addition to the home office range.

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
I would use that anywhere near my big screen
I am very leery of shooting steel BBs or lead pellets indoors, and in fact haven't done so since my youth when I had a space in parents' basement to do so. I'm too worried about misses, ricochets or over-penetrating projectiles putting holes in things I don't want them to. Therefore I only shoot Airsoft indoors.

Having said that, the target shown here looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am very leery of shooting steel BBs or lead pellets indoors, and in fact haven't done so since my youth when I had a space in parents' basement to do so. I'm too worried about misses, ricochets or over-penetrating projectiles putting holes in things I don't want them to. Therefore I only shoot Airsoft indoors.

I've had the occasional lead pellet come back to my feet at 8 yards when I missed and hit the drywall. This was long time ago.

Copper BB's, on the other hand, are downright evil. I've missed a lizard, hit the concrete wall and had my own BB nail me in the forehead. Distance was maybe 40' with a crosman 760 pump combo bb / pellet rifle. So when they deny Ralphie the Red Ryder because he'll shoot his eye out? Yeah, it's true.

I was maybe 10 years old, and after that I swore BB completely off. Nothing but rifled barrels and lead pellets since that day in 1979.

I'll get a video tomorrow of this thing in action. I'm a bit.. sauced.. tonight. Loading 28 boxes of 30-06 into 8 rd M1 clips to make two ammo cans while I watch Kelly's Heroes. What a weird film!

I share your concern, but in a controlled environment, dsk, lead is OK. Not foolproof, but doable.

This thing.. with rifle? Off a rest? it's fish in a barrel!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks like it would be a blast. In the house that would not fly, garage maybe, workshop
yeah that would allowed.

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
I had one exactly like that only black. They are so fun that it came up missing years ago. I now use lead pellets with a 22rf target and paper. I gotta order another one of those! I have switched to lots of airsoft just like dsk has. It’s a riot and you can actually set up a cool course of fire that makes it really fun and challenging!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
As a one time air gun competitor I have shot tens of thousands of pellets in my basement all at 10yds.
I shot into a steel box about 10"x10" backed with a clay like material called duct seal which captured the pellet and deadened the sound. After too many center hits it was easy to cut out the shot up portion of the clay and re-position. This stuff needs to be dense and it is available at air gun suppliers but far less costly and just as effective,
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-lb-Plug-Duct-Seal-Compound-DS-110/100212441

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
strays

Using various traps, what Ive seen is:

- nothing over penetrates.

- lead effectively never escapes, once in a while a flattened pellet rattles into the vacuum cleaner immediately in front of the "range".

- airsoft plastic BBs might as well never be trapped, so many of them bounce out. Being so low mass, they cannot hurt anything.

- steel does escape, sometimes briskly. So before shooting steel BBs: guitars cased, computer monitors and paintings draped, etc

- I don't miss
;- j
.... but if I "hit differently", my backstop is an old bookcase, lined with an old wool blanket. Even steel BBs aren't very enthusiastic after that blanket.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My Dad used to shoot his .22lr revolver in the basement. He had a double layer of 3/4" plywood over the doorway to the coal cellar (ask your grandparents to explain what a coal cellar is). Rounds penetrated, but basically just made a mark on the far concrete wall of the coal cellar. The only thing that bothered me about his setup was the fact that the gas meter was just to the right of the doorway, about a foot away. He just said, "I never miss that far". He was right, though - he never used much more than the bullseye area of the target shooting from about 10 yards.

Of course, this was after my Mom passed away.:)

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
Well today I tried something out, I took a poly garbage can I had outside that's partially filled with dirt and dragged it into the garage. I tipped it over and propped it against a small box that allowed it to sit at just the right angle so that I could shoot directly into the opening. I used binder clips to attach targets to the rim, then proceeded to shoot at about 30 feet, first with lead pellets then with BBs. Using lead pellets it worked fine. With BBs I had a ricochet about once every 20 or so shots. They likely hit small rocks mixed in with the dirt or else skimmed across the sides of the garbage can and made their way back out. I think if I can replace the dirt with sand or topsoil with no rocks or pebbles in it I can make it a decent indoor target holder. I would prefer a larger backstop to shoot at, but it will likely suffice. Not sure if shooting BB guns is going to satisfy my urge to send projectiles downrange though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if shooting BB guns is going to satisfy my urge to send projectiles downrange though.
It won't. You think I don't miss the *thump* of my 1911 with .45s in it? Or the *thump* of my M1 against my shoulder?

I got a .22 Advantage Arms conversion for my 1911, and a piece of **** Chiappa M1-22 "carbine" just so I can shoot for real with .22 instead of chewing through my stash of .45 and 30-06.

But things being how they are, the ammo for those is to be preserved for the day when it's needed to defend this house, town, and country. My ammo stocks are not measured in 10k rounds, they down around 1k rounds for everything I have. I can't just up and go to the range when I want to anymore, not until ammo becomes plentiful again. I have maybe 5k .22, that's what I got most of.

That said --

If you jerk the trigger on a real gun, chances are you'll jerk on an airgun too, with the same results. Get rid of the jerk on the airgun, and guess what? It'll likely be gone in the "real" gun too.

I'm using the airgun primarily to keep refining my trigger finger, really. The better I shoot airgun, the better I shoot firearms.

And there may be a day coming soon, when that means living, or dying.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I take an Amazon box, stuff it with all my junk mail, tape it up, and add target stickers to the front. Perfect indoors and out. Just don’t leave it out in the rain!

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Awesome!

Well today I tried something out, I took a poly garbage can I had outside that's partially filled with dirt and dragged it into the garage. I tipped it over and propped it against a small box that allowed it to sit at just the right angle so that I could shoot directly into the opening. I used binder clips to attached targets to the rim, then proceeded to shoot at about 30 feet, first with lead pellets then with BBs. Using lead pellets it worked fine. With BBs I had a ricochet about once every 20 or so shots. They likely hit small rocks mixed in with the dirt or else skimmed across the sides of the garbage can and made their way back out. I think if I can replace the dirt with sand or topsoil with no rocks or pebbles in it I can make it a decent indoor target holder. I would prefer a larger backstop to shoot at, but it will likely suffice. Not sure if shooting BB guns is going to satisfy my urge to send projectiles downrange though.
All in the title.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Yeah, here's my experience with shooting anything around the house... We had a damn pigeon, it would sit on the back wall and make a mess. I finally got out my wrist rocket and a steel ball bearing. Took aim, and let fly!

I missed the bird by a mile, the bearing hit my block wall, left a dent, bounced back about 40 feet and shattered the $60 glass globe on our patio ceiling fan!

And you think my spouse is going to let me shoot anything indoors? :) :)

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Yeah, here's my experience with shooting anything around the house... We had a damn pigeon, it would sit on the back wall and make a mess. I finally got out my wrist rocket and a steel ball bearing. Took aim, and let fly!

I missed the bird by a mile, the bearing hit my block wall, left a dent, bounced back about 40 feet and shattered the $60 glass globe on our patio ceiling fan!

And you think my spouse is going to let me shoot anything indoors? :) :)
Seems this kind of one-in-100 outcome always occurs... even when the odds suggest there's no way.

Good to see you back on the Forum GSG. Your humor and ways with words have been missed.

---

The last time a critter got into one of my homes was an opossum ... which entered an enclosed patio area. After everything else failed to direct the critter back outside, peaceful me then turned into a one-person hatchet-wielding assault team. Afterwards, I decided to purchase the NRA store's tomahawk set...just in case, for the future.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts