1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Administrator
80,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, in the latest "Shooting Times 2002 Gun Buyer's Guide" absolutely no mention is made of Colt. There's a 20-page directory of every handgun, rifle, and shotgun currently available, but no Colts anywhere. I don't have their address, but I think we had better start a letter and e-mail campaign to wake them up.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

· Registered
914 Posts
I used to really like ST. I still thumb thru it on the newsstands merely to see what the sheriff has to say. If they fired the Taurus whore Dick Metcalf, I would even subscribe.

I remember when the Taurus Tracker first came out, wasn't even available yet and Metcalf was sent a non-firing sample. His article was almost a word-for-word rendition of an earlier piece on the little snubbies. It was that issue that did it for me. There was also an article (by him) on muzzle flash. No definitive powders were mentioned so the article itself was pretty much worthless, but it was the pictures that clinched it. The idiot used obvious fake photos throughout the entire article. In one photo, the hammer was still cocked (on a Taurus revolver of course) and there was fire spewing from the muzzle! in another, a DAO wheelgun was barfing sparks and the trigger was fully forward.

He will be the downfall of a once good mag... If he isn't already.

Callahan

------------------
"I would like to see a restoration of a Constitutional Republic, with the federal government defanged, muzzled, shackled and cast back into its constitutional prison." - Noumenon (From FreeRepublic.com)

[This message has been edited by Inspector Harry Callahan (edited 09-10-2001).]

· Banned
437 Posts
That is really a bummer that Colt is getting dogged by the magazines. I am glad of forums like this to keep folks knowledge on par with what really is. I mean how many have written about their hearing from a gun dealer. Saying Colt is no longer and the price is sky high on the ones they have. I must say I bit a few years ago. But the fact that it continues is baffling. I wish Colt was as healthy as it used to be. And that they still did'nt pay for advertisment from the money reporters. As usual thanks dsk.

· Registered
914 Posts
Did Colt come out with any thing new this year??

Damn right! They are currently making a WWII Reproduction 1911 that's pretty close to "the real thing" right down to the wax paper packaging. They also re-released the Python and the Anaconda this year. Sad thing is, I have yet to see an article from ANY of the gun rags covering these models. Nothing.

Check out their site. http://www.colt.com/

------------------
"I would like to see a restoration of a Constitutional Republic, with the federal government defanged, muzzled, shackled and cast back into its constitutional prison." - Noumenon (From FreeRepublic.com)

· Registered
116 Posts
Magazines print articles about guns that advertisers submit. Colt is doing no advertising that I have seen so if there are no ad dollars coming in, they are not going to review it. Shooting Times used to be a great gun magazine. I remember reading stories by Skelton, Wooters, Nonte, Jordan and others. I read somewhere that the same people who own Guns & Ammo have purchased Shooting Times and it is likely to go away. I think that it would be just as well. They probably should have quit when Skelton passed away.........he was the franchise.

Regards,
Marvin

· Registered
134 Posts
Actually I think Colt will put together pretty much what they darn well please.They may not advertise this to the public,But I think distributors can get just about anything,here's why.I went to a local shops website to check their inventory,they had this cool feature where you could check their distributors stock.So I went into check it out.It was real neat in that it had a feature where you click on the model # and you get a full color picture and description of that particular weapon.Which was cool cause I havn't really had a look at all these different Colt models you boys keep talkin about.

Anyhow they had everything;all different flavors of defenders,1991's,Goldcups and SXE's(or whatever)and they had one called Special Combat Target Chrome(or some such),this thing was a 5" and had adjustable sights,checkering on the front strap,custom beavertail and hammer,trick trigger and a large extended magwell amongst other features.It was all finished in hardchrome from the factory.The retail was $14-1500.After seeing that I assume just about anything can be ordered.

· Banned
437 Posts
Don't pay $1400 to $1500 for anything called a Special Combat Target. Thats a hoax by wherever you saw it. Its the Special Combat Government which is top shelf in Modern Colt Government 1911 45s.

· Registered
2,876 Posts
I think it is very interesting that y'all think various gun mags like ST are boycotting Colt. Where did you ever get the idea there was a boycott? I assume you are basing it on the fact that no Colts or new Colts showed up. Is that right? If so, then I think you may have misunderstood the relationship between the rags and the producers of guns.

Take for example the S&W articles in American Handgunner last year that were on why we should not boycott and on S&W's wonderful production facilities, inlcuding nice mentions of various employee who are 3 and 4 generation S&W employees. Coinciding with that were several full page advertisements. American Handgunner did not produce unbiased reporting, but instead printed favorable articles that apparently were done for all the advertising S&W provided. I am not saying the articles were not factual, but they painted the company in a hugely positive manner, almost without any faults.

Take ST and the Colt issue. How much paid advertising have you seen from Colt in ST recently? When the rags do reviews, very often the guns are provided by the manufacturers at no cost to the rag, plus there are usually advertisements that correspond with the brands being reviewed by the rags. Then notice that most of the reviews are done in an almost sickeningly sweet manner where attributes or results that might not be favorable are presented in ways that play down or gloss over the flaws.

Boycott? No. There are no reviews for Colts because Colt isn't buying advertising. In fact, have you seen much advertising from Colt at all? How about from Kimber, Glock, or S&W? These last three will have at least one major add, often full page, or a couple of smaller adds in just about any gun rags that pertain to their products.

ST, G&A, Am. Handgunner do not have people who are writers stories that correspond with any form of unbiased ethical reporting such that we might demand from documentary rags like Time, Newsweek, or newspapers, and even then there are biases.

Boycotting Colt? Nope. Colt apparently just can't play the game.

UdontnoMe, you scare me.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
I stopped buying Shooting Times, Guns & Ammo etc about 3 years ago. Being a "gun bug" I was also a "gun magazine bug" but finally just got tired of all the same crap. They won't say anything negative about anything for fear of "pissing off" an advertizer. Also, a lot of them are just forums for the "gun writers" to further inflate their egos.

Gee, by not buying those rags for all this time I almost have the $$ for another 1911. Hmmmm... I wonder if that was a good choice!
Good Shooting! NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

· Registered
1,564 Posts
Originally posted by Double Naught Spy:

ST, G&A, Am. Handgunner do not have people who are writers stories that correspond with any form of unbiased ethical reporting such that we might demand from documentary rags like Time, Newsweek, or newspapers, and even then there are biases.

Boycotting Colt? Nope. Colt apparently just can't play the game.

UdontnoMe, you scare me.
How about "Advertising Extortion"
It's not that they don't run an article "The Colt XSE, the gun that's the best this month" because they don't get an ad.

They print a buyers guide, reputedly showing guns and specifically exclude Colt.
They print an article "1911 models" that even lists the AMT Hardballer and other gunmakers that don't produce guns anymore, but skip Colt.
They run "news" about how Colt is dead, and not making guns anymore, months after it's established that's not true (even given the lead time of a mag)

The problem is that they don't care about their readers, they're not providing information anymore.

The only gun magazines I read are the ones they send us for free, and those take about 20 minutes...

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
One of the gunrags recently had an article on the "1911", in which they had a review of various models and a catalog section. The article actually said something to the effect of "except for Colt's, here are all of the 1911s on the market". At least they were honest about ignoring Colt and it's products.

· Administrator
80,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was Shooting Times. Sounds more like a snub at them than honesty. It appears they have taken the position that they won't even post a lousy picture of any company's products if they don't get financially reimbursed somehow. That explains why I hardly ever saw articles on classic guns or discontinued models. Their excuse was that they didn't want to advertise what people could no longer buy. Hogwash! They didn't want to write articles about anything they weren't being paid to show.

I honestly don't think I've bought a gun-related magazine outside of Shotgun News in many months.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

· Registered
75 Posts
This morning I purchased a new MARK IV 80 series .38 super govt model. The gun is gorgeous and, out of the box it shot as well as any 1911 Ive ever owned. Aside from my Wilson, it is the nicest 1911 Ive owned bar none.

I find it mildly amusing that I hear increasingly negative things about Colt on what seems to be a daily basis, and every subsequent Colt purchase I make seems to be better than the last.

I agree with ScottsGT on his earlier post. This gun sat on my dealers shelf for almost a year before today, and if Colt had an advertising campaign as effective as Kimber or Springfield it probably wouldnt be mine. Colt is not dead, and they dont need to advertise in the rags for me to buy their products.

· Registered
113 Posts
Regarding mags like ST and G&A….. I think their “just great” if you need to read articles on how to mount a scope, or need to have an explanation as to why a 38sp and a 357mag can shoot the same dia. bullet, or if your are entertained by listening to a couple of dear hunters have a heated debate about whether a 270 is as good as a 06….. (I think most here have evolved way-way past that point).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.