1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the new issue of ST's they review 7 1911's that they called "under $900". They said some mfr's were unable to supply samples and the RIA and Remington were not included.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't want to spoil it, but the guns were the Ruger, Taurus, Para-Ord, ATI, Auto-Ord, Desert Eagle, and Springfield. I will tell you one had a rear sight fall off and one suffered what was called a "catastrophic failure".

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
In the new issue of ST's they review 7 1911's that they called "under $900". They said some mfr's were unable to supply samples and the RIA and Remington were not included.
So what was the point?

Bob

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
I didn't want to spoil it,.
Then I'm with my friend ArkieBob
(maybe for a different reason, cause i "know" RIA having owned 4)

but what's the point of the thread if you're not going to share what you read??:scratch:

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In order, Para-Ord, Ruger, Desert Eagle, Springfield, Auto-Ord, Taurus and ATI. The Para beat the Ruger because it had a fiber-optic front sight. I have several 1911's and don't see a need for a fo sight. The Taurus lost the rear sight and the ejector sheared off the ATI.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
In order, Para-Ord, Ruger, Desert Eagle, Springfield, Auto-Ord, Taurus and ATI. The Para beat the Ruger because it had a fiber-optic front sight. I have several 1911's and don't see a need for a fo sight. The Taurus lost the rear sight and the ejector sheared off the ATI.
Thanks Max

'cept for the obvious "gun" failures (sight and ejector), features can be subjective contingent on the owner and or reviewer's tastes/preferences and/or needs

example, I like FO front sights
but an ambi safety that some right handed shooters consider an "upgrade", gets removed from my pistols that came with 'em

You don't care for FO front sight..and you might think an ambi is a good thing(?) ...it's all subjective...no right or wrong is what I mean

..L.T.A.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
RIA and Remington probably don't give a dink what ST says, whether they get good reviews or not.

Both RIA and Remington seem to get excellent reviews from where it counts: Customers
And I suspect if Ruger and Springfield thought about it, they'd have taken a pass as well.

I haven't seen that issue, or any in years, but I suspect if you check all its pages RIA and Remington also didn't take out an ad.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I gave up on ST after reading some article passing on the idea that a bad guy is gonna pick me out to shoot 1st if I look like I might have a weapon based on my clothing. That being said I am pleased to hear that one of the gun rags actually reported a problem.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have subscribed to ST since 1971 and am a creature of habit, so find it hard to quit. My first exp with a 1911 was in MP school in 1969. I carried one for a year in VN ( it was 2 years older than I was) and bought my first one in 73 or so. A fiber optic sight might make one much easier to shoot, I don't know as I have never shot one. If I was asked to list 100 things I liked about the 1911, a fiber optic sight would not make the list as I wouldn't think about it.

I think this review missed some guns that should have been included. I think a 1911, with decent sights, that functions 100% of the time is hard to beat.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I like reading Shooting Time magazines, for entertainment of course. I like some of the articles of sheriff Jim Wilson.

·
Registered
814 Posts
So the summary of the article should have been: "The Taurus and ATI failed the tests because of parts failure, all others passed".

Unfortunately, every publication has writers who think they are the reason that people buy the magazine and that their personal opinions are the only opinions that matter. Some times I just want to read an article without bias for or against certain products that simply state facts and let me form my own opinion on the product. I can be silly like that some times.

·
Registered
640 Posts
So the article rates the Para first and says that if the Ruger and Desert Eagle had fiber optic front sights it would have been a three way tie.

If you downgrade the two pistols that had parts failures that only leaves two other pistols in the hunt. I guess it's a good thing those failures occurred otherwise it could have been a seven way tie for number one.

I thought it was interesting to run some side by side tests on pistols in what I consider an "affordable" price range but it seems the final conclusions in these types of articles are always based on the "experts" personal preferences instead of data.

Wow, the Ruger is downgraded because the sights are hard to see when shooting white plates. I guess I'm saved as the plates at my range are black. Looks like I won't be needing that fiber optic front sight.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a Ruger SR1911. I just installed a FO front sight. Big Improvement.
I have an SR1911 too. The center mass shots were shot with it. White dot sights against a white background. I think I can do without the fiber optic front sight for now.

My point was that you shouldn't take points away, or give them, for a feature that is personal preference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Articles like this are a joke to me.

Yes, the new Para guns are the best they have made in years. I will not contest that.

Yes, the SR1911 is a functional example of a 1911 and with that they were also overhyped before they came on the market. When someone comes in asking about buying a new gun and some idiot suggests a gun that is not even in production that they have never even seen or shot there is some serious Kool Aid drinking going on.

RIA a year or so ago listed their production of 1911s to be over 80,000. That's right, they are churning out nearly as many 1911s as Kimber (hold you horses I am not comparing them quality wise, just in terms of sales) They started up with little to no advertising and most of what they had was word of mouth. I would wager they don't feel particularly obligated to donate a test pistol for what I must assume is a glorified "which one does Bubba-Joe Gun-Riter' like best!" piece.

Don't get me wrong I love gun rags. The gun rag sits amongst my guilty pleasures along with B-horror and science fiction films and pulp action and horror novels. That being said I also generally don't buy into much of what they say as I consider them to be just a few steps above tabloid journalism.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That being said I also generally don't buy into much of what they say as I consider them to be just a few steps above tabloid journalism.
Exactly, show me data and I'll formulate my own conclusions.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts