1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about shooting with the thumb on top of the safety as many advocate. I am just wondering if this can have any adverse effects on the safety mechanism. I have noticed that when I try shooting this way, the recoil pushes the safety down further than the normal fire position. I am just wondering if this will put any undue stress on any of the parts.

------------------
100% NRA - Join today at www.mynra.com

·
2,895 Posts
Shouldn't unless you are clenching hard enough to bend/break it (not likely). If you are pushing down hard enough to break it then your grip is too tight anyway...lighten up a little bit.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
When I tried that grip as advocated by the "Pro's" the grip safety won't depress. When I shoot "thumbs down" like you do with a revolver it works. Go figure!

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Colt shooter
It sounds like the frame/safety stop is off in relation to the plunger detent (not uncommon).Push the safety all the way down and mark it.Recut the plunger detent to that spot and recontour the groove and it will sit all the way down when you snick it off.Very irritating isn't it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You should be able to keep your thumb on the safety without any malfunctions or failure to fire. Also, you would do well to place your left thumb on top of the right which is on the thumb safety to avoid accidental actuation of the Slide Lock during a string of fire. It takes some gettng use to, but I think it's worth it.

Make sure your hand is all the way into the pistol. If their is a grip safety related issue, get one installed with a raised top portion of the grip safety fro positive engagement.

On a "standard, factory" grip safety this could be a problem as it is difficult to get your hand into the gun far enough due to the "stock" grip safety design. This a major reason for the change over 20 years ago to the "Bevertail Grip Sfaety". The other reason was to spread the recoil over a greater portion of the hand and get the hand up higher on the pistol to be in line with the recoil Vs. "Under it". The latter is more prone to the pistol "Flipping Up" in recoil.

In the early '80's, we pinned the grip safety in the activated position to alleviate any issue. Many thought this was "Unsafe", but I quickly remind them that the thumb safety and the trigger have to be actuated before the weapon will fire. This allows firning even if the grip is not perfect. A very real possibility in a "Stressful" situation.

Just some things I picked up over 100,000 or so rounds on the 1911 in IPSC competitions.

Hope this helps.

------------------
ACK

"Make the First Shot Count"!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ironically, I just started shooting "thumbs down" yesterday and my patterns immediately improved. Eliminated most of those fliers that drive me crazy and return-to-target was definitely faster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts