1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone witnessed a shooting do the attackers stop in there tracks or did they need to put a few rounds in them?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Greg, this is a highly subjective question.

If a hit is made to the central nervous column (spine, brain), then there are numerous instances of one-stop kills. This is highly reliant on all the right variables being in place - shot placement, angle of entrance wound, penetration, velocity, expansion.......

No two shootings are ever the same. Count on multiple rounds placed to COM (centre of mass) for the best overall results. In other words, you keep shooting until the target stops doing whatever made you shoot him in the first place. Some will die before they stop doing whatever they are doing. Methamphetamines will often negate any pain factor that a BG will feel. You may need to empty a full magazine (or more) before you stop someone who's doped up. Others with low pain tolerance (and no chemical pain inhibitors) will give up after a flesh wound.

Nothing is guaranteed in a shooting. There is, for all intents and purposes, no such thing as a one-shot cartridge. There are only instances of one-stop shootings, when all the variables (including luck) add up occasionally.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
heres some useless anecdotal evidence about what shane is talking about greg.

1. my friend was shot in the chest by a 9mm which failed to hit anything vital due to his massive size (around 300 pnds 6'6"). he then proceeded to beat the hell out of the guy who ran to his car and drove off. after the guy left my friend from all the accounts i heard rubbed the hole and asked people if he should go to the hospital.
2. Robbery in my home town ends with the victim drawing a .22 caliber pos gun and firing at contact range into the heart of the perpetrator, who looked down at the wound and then fell down and died right away

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing you learn is that NO handgun is 100%. Last July I was a few feet from a gunman who fired into a car hitting two people with a 9mm. The female got out of the car ran around a bit screaming with a shot to the back midway down near the spine. It exited and fell to the ground.
Driver male took three to the chest and just flinched and was alert when the ambulance got there.
I've seen numerous people shot including one who took 6 .357's to the center mass and then fired back at us 5 times and hit another officer and we had to fight him into the ambulance.
One thing you learn about any handgun is how distant second it is choice. When you get into trouble you never tell someone to go get you a smaller gun.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I can only remember seeing two people shot and both were hit with .22. In both cases they acted like you hit them with a fly swatter. My best response to questions like this is I have actually experienced the following on deer, not humans.
Shot a small doe with 7mm rem mag,165 gr bullet out of 24" barrel. Deer dropped instantly, stayed down for 10 minutes, then got up, walked out to a field and started feeding.
Shot a 9 point buck with .357 mag 135 gr bullet, 6" barrel at 65 yards, deer takes 10 steps and drops dead.
Based on my limited experience I believe there is NO REAL answer to your question.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My only first-hand knowledge of real-life shootings involves a sizeable young man hit in the leg with a .22 LR fired from a derringer. He dropped immediately to the ground.

If you read up enough on shootings, though, you will find that people sometimes react the way they think they are supposed to react. As in the above incident: "If you're shot, you fall down."

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've seen some shootings and the results are like those stated above. The one that I did not see in person was a snippet of a security camera showing three individuals being taken down with 12ga. slugs. Kinda like somebody turned their switches off.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I did witness a drive by. About 50 rounds fired at two gangers on the sidewalk. End result: One broken window, chipped concrete sidewalk, lots of holes in a telephone pole, but no one dropped because no one was even hit. One unhit woman fainted. The gangers ran away.

On a seperate occasion, I was hit by .22's and also wondered if I should go to the hospital. It stung, but that's about it. It hit no vitals thanks to my thick skull, and leather jacket. What stung much worse was a $1000 hospital bill for hydrogen-peroxide, gauze and tape that my insurance wouldn't pay for.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The only shooting I have seen was 25 years ago. Two guys got in an argument over a pool game and gambling. The bad guy produced a revoler and shot the victim three times in the chest before the victim had a chance to even fall. The range was about 3 feet. The bad guy got into the passenger side of a car he was against and the driver of the car backed it up, and then drove over the victim who seemed to bobble amongst the wheels from some 30 feet or so. It was not pleasant.

Undoubtedly, the victim was DRT (dead right there) where he was fell, or at least completely incapacitated. Of course, there was no shaking of the body from the impacts of the bullets like you see in hollywood films. Three red spots were on the victims t-shirt. The trip under the car simply served to tear off chunks of skin from his exposed arms and legs.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I think a 12gauge slug is your best bet at close range could you amagine getting hit by one of those by the time it expanded it would probebly be over a inch in diameter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts