1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone checked out the short barreled M1 Tommy Gun that Auto Ordnance is now selling??
A 10 inch smooth bore barrel???
That sounds like fun
Any input ?
I would love to get one for plinking

·
Administrator
13,292 Posts
10" smooth bore . I'm not sure which federal reg that would be breaking ? Short barreled rifle or shotgun ? Either way it would have to be a registered NFA weapon . Probably not too much call for that one .

·
Registered
200 Posts
NFA

I got a Kahr Thompson, total piece of junk. Couldn't fire 2 shots with out jamming, both sights fell out. The screws holes for the rear sight got stripped, and its hard for most people to cock.

Sent it back to the factory. Got it back after many calls. Took it to the range, and had all the same problems. Most expensive gun I own, and its the only one I dont like.

I will never buy a Kahr.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I remember a guy on THR trying to sell his Thompson (Kahr) because it was the biggest POS he ever owned. And he told everyone up front it was nothing but problems. I think he even offered to throw in a set of Golf clubs at one time, an SKS and hundreds of rounds of .45 ACP to unload the beast. After several trips back to Kahr, it still would not work without jamming.
I actually thought about trying to jump thru all the legal hoops to get the SBR Thompson, but then I remembered all the problems this guy had.

·
Registered
566 Posts
90% of this guns problem is mag related.
the first thing you need to do, is change out the mag release, to a USGI surplus.

that being done you will now be able to use surplus mags(both XX and XXX). instead of kahrs $60 mags you can use any thompson box mag (as long as it hasn't been modified for a semi gun) that normally run $20 bucks or so. the feed lips may or may not need doctored, most 20's(xx) i've found need work, yet the 30's(xxx) seem fine most of the time.....
there's a few other tricks to make them run

save your money:
"normal" '27=800-900 bucks
surpluse barrel 100-200 bucks
sbr transfer 200 bucks
how much could it cost to have a smith change barrels?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thompson..

The only problems I have had with my Khar/Thompson is the mag drops out after a few rounds of warm 230FMJ, it does well with the milder stuff, (830fps or less). It seems reasonable accurate but not exceptionally so.
The idea of swapping out the mag release is something I might want to find out about. the question is where...?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
ScottsGT said:
I remember a guy on THR trying to sell his Thompson (Kahr) because it was the biggest POS he ever owned. And he told everyone up front it was nothing but problems. I think he even offered to throw in a set of Golf clubs at one time, an SKS and hundreds of rounds of .45 ACP to unload the beast. After several trips back to Kahr, it still would not work without jamming.
I actually thought about trying to jump thru all the legal hoops to get the SBR Thompson, but then I remembered all the problems this guy had.

Someone should point me to this guy. If he wants out of it this bad, i'll take it if the price reflects his desire. I never think twice about this kind of thing. In the worst case I can get my money back out of it. In the best, I can get it running (usually the case). These guns are nice little projects to make shooting interesting.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
817 Posts
AJ,
Trust me, I though about the same thing. This was about a year back, so I'm sure it is gone now. I think he was somewhere in NC. He didn't want to ship the ammo, and I remember it was within driving distance for me to go get it. But I'm sure it is long gone now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts