1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something along the vein of what John Wayne might have carried in a movie -- but not too pretty / expensive. Something I can haul out into the woods to mess around without worrying about. Also might play a role in home-defense.

Not really worry about ability to hunt with it.

Where to start? I'd guess some sort of cowboy-action gun.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Biakal Bounty Hunter, 20 inch barrels, if they don't fall when you shoot them it will make a very good club.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
For a real hoot add rifle sights on the mid-rib. I had an old Stevens that would drill slugs into a pie plate at 100 yards.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had an old one that someone had left standing barrel down on a cement basement floor for a good while - - rusted the first 4 inches all to he**. I chopped it off at 18 inches & it was beautiful. It was my house gun for a long time.

Try the opening mechanism. When slicked-up, you should be able to open & close the action with just a flick of your right arm/wrist (thumb lever unlock). This enables you to load quickly with your left hand. If the ejector is strong, you can approach the rate of a pump shotgun - - and keep on going if you've got an open bag of shells on your left side. Well, I really never shot more than an 8 shot string... but it could be done.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The EAA biakials rock! I had a 12 with 20 inches and that thing was SOOO fun. Watch out! They tend to hurt with recoil. I sold it however to get a Remington Model 11 sportsman that I cut down to a real nice 18 1/2 inches. Bonnie and Clyde used to call them 'whippets", at least I think it was B&C.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Stoeger Coach Gun which has given me wonderful service. It doesn't have exposed hammers, so it doesn't look quite as "Wild West" as the Baikals, but operation is much easier.

Don't the Baikals have a tang safety in addition to the hammers? Sounds awkward.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Try this:
http://www.southernohiogun.com/products.html

It's a Norinco. Cheap, fun, but can be some work out of the box. I had to clean up the action area where the machining was a little rough. The ejector was full of rusty oil and had to be polished and the right side happer was dragging the stock causing a light hammer hit. Had to sand the stock down behind the hammer. If your handy with this kind of stuff, go for it. If not, get the Stoger.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Guy E. said:
I have a Stoeger Coach Gun which has given me wonderful service. It doesn't have exposed hammers, so it doesn't look quite as "Wild West" as the Baikals, but operation is much easier.
I used to have a Stoeger 12gauge Coach Gun just like that. It performed great, never had any problems with it. Did you ever pull both triggers at the same time? Thats a real experience with high base magnums:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you shoot black powder then try to find a Sile Conferderate Cavelry model. I love mine and with 14" barrels you can swing it anywhere. I use mine for deer hunting in thick swamps, also great for quail or woodcock hunting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dieselman said:
I used to have a Stoeger 12gauge Coach Gun just like that. It performed great, never had any problems with it. Did you ever pull both triggers at the same time? Thats a real experience with high base magnums:eek:
I've pulled both triggers, but only with light Remington dove loads! I'm not about to try that with magnums!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts